View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
So 1" foam board on the bottom covered by the plywood? I'm assuming you're using foamboard for the sides as well?
I think I neded up with 2" to make it high enough to make it fairly level. I originally wasn't going to keep the aluminum support bar back there, but Ecky pointed out that it may help with handling, so that created a little more height as well. May be able to get away with 1", but I'd say 1.5-2" is the better plan.

Sides, I'm not 100% sure, but I think I want to use the stock mounting tabs and use some 1" wooden dowel, then use velcro or magnets to hold panels in place (so they will be somewhat floating). I'm also trying to keep in mind isolation for noise. If any of the wooden panels are directly touching the chassis, it will put those vibrations through and greatly increase in-cab noise. The foam helps isolate the panels and I believe the velcro will do a decent job.

I did a small road trip on the interstate at 70mph with nothing in the trunk. I ended up stopping at a hard ware store on the way back and getting a bag of insulation because it was UNBEARABLE on how loud it was! (rear tires at 60psi). So you definitely have to have something in place to keep the drive tolerable! With just the floor in the back that I've done, it's a huge difference and is decent, but will be better when finished.