View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
My point was that every new car, especially every new "econo" model has to do battle with a huge, inexpensive used market where the "off the lot" penalty has already been paid. Thems the breaks for this segment.
True. The same can be said for motorcycles. A BMW R1250RT costs as much as a new Honda Civic. There is no logically reason to buy the motorcycle. People buy a motorcycle priced the same as a car for the experience of riding a motorcycle. It is very different than driving a car.

The problem for the Solo is that it isn't a different form factor. It is a car driving experience, without the safety of a car, from a start-up company, that is likely to be out of business before the warranty ends.

I personally think the Solo would have sold 10 years ago when affordable EVs were rare. People would have overlooked the downside just to own an EV. Today the market is flooded with cheap off-lease EVs with 4-5 years of warranty remaining.

We will see if enough people want to be different for the sake of being different.

EDIT: I also agree that there is no logical reason to buy a Mirage.