View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #5782 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
*fact-checker isn't something associated with science publication.Science journals employ graduate researchers,veteran Ph.D.s,and veteran post-doctoral experts,in the specific field of study.
And their work is commented by erudite persons. For popular consumption.
Quote:
*CMEs are plazma:electrons,protons,atomic nuclei....cannot be predicted.By anyone.
*Also,the field strength of Earth's magnetosphere is a function of latitude.It's 15% weaker at the poles.
*Asteroids are orbiting rock,leftover from the accretion disc which formed the solar system.They have nothing in common with CMEs.
*Gamma-ray burst can sterilize Earth and is a great concern,but nothing we have any control over.
*Starting every line with an asterisk levels the distinction between facts, observations and commentary.
*A mininova isn't the same as some asteroids, but has similar effect.
Quote:
*Earth's geologic record has many accounts of polarity 'excursions',where the field partially reverses,then 'jumps' back to the original dipole orientation.These events cannot be predicted.By anyone.
Recently declassified documents (the Adam and Eve story*) suggest that that happens a lot, but so quickly the geologic record doesn't show it.
Quote:
*As to ice-ages:the language is:
glaciation [leading edge]
deglaciation [trailng edge]
As per Potholer54's reporting,Ben Davidson has no command of the language of Glaciology.It's not a criticism,just an observation.
Potholer54's effette snobbery doesn't change the fact that S0 gets school kids excited about astrophysics. I doubt he could.
Quote:
*If you can link to the cyclone video I'll look at it.
Can you give the Permalink where I mentioned it? I can't find it, but I remember pasting the URL at the time it shows and suggested you could close the window after the 10-15 seconds. It was pretty spectacular white water vapor coming down from the cloud and brown dirt coming up from below with a clear section in the middle where they weren't mixing.
Technically we all live in our own head and should be suspicious of everyone else. Especially freshman Congresspersons who think they are in charge because nobody else is doing what she wants (or is told to want).

edit:
Quote:
There might be a case for the House and Senate being required to use a rigorous scientific metric in the confirmation process for POTUS nominees.It wouldn't matter how lame the president or their nominees were,Congress simply wouldn't be able to install the minion/sychophant/boot-lickers without an extreme portfolio of real qualifications.Not just whether or not they sexually molested someone when they were drunk.
That's asking for a lot. And assumes Congress is less lame that the Executive.
Separation of powers, etc.

Quote:
As a tangent, why does POTUS get to appoint supreme court justices for life? That job should be just like any other, where we either elect them, or they are internally promoted to the position.
Maybe an occasional head count or requirement for proof-of-life?

*https://www.cia.gov/library/readingr...000300070001-8

Last edited by freebeard; 05-08-2019 at 05:57 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-08-2019)