View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I think the dieselgaters are the best deal out there in the used car market today.
I agree. TDIs used to hold their value so well that it made no sense to buy a 2-3 year old car. Now they are less than 50% of MSRP. We had a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI with a 5 speed but when it came time to replace it in 2013 you could buy a lightly used Prius for way less than a TDI and the fuel is cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Do you have the DSG? 37 seems a bit low for mileage. I have been anywhere from 43-45, but it is largely interstate or lightly trafficed state 2 lane highway. On such roads with rolling hills and little traffic, I can easily exceed 50 mpg.
Ours is a DSG. We wanted a manual but of the 65 TDI Jetta sportwagens an the dealer lot only 1 was a manual. It had 130K miles and quite a bit a wear and tear. So we ended up with a DSG and other things we didn't want like the giant sunroof.

The TDI is my wife's primary car and most of the miles are from her commute to work. (7 miles / 6 traffic lights). I figure 37 mpg isn't bad considering city EPA is 29 mpg. On the longer trips we have taken I get low 40's loaded with 4 people and either camping or ski gear.

In September my Spark EV lease with end and I'll start driving the TDI on my 25 mile commute. The mpg should come up AND I'll don't like the idea of driving a diesel on a lot of short trips where it doesn't come up to operating temperature.