View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #5894 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Nuclear power is far from predictable, and is quite prone to emergency shutdowns... Wind is predictable... Well sited wind turbines are VERY consistent.
You stating these things as fact does not make it so. Please quantify what you mean by "nuclear power is far from predictable". For instance, power output varies by 10% unpredictably, or some other objective statement of predictability that is grounded in fact.

Similarly, I would like to see an objective account of how wind is predictable. For instance, power output from wind is maintained within 5% of demand, or some other such objective statement.

I say this because calculating nuclear reactivity and power output has a few variables that are relatively easy to calculate, and adjustments in output are possible. Calculating wind energy is in the domain of meteorology, which we all know is a crapshoot, and power output cannot be varied on demand.

Excerpts from the World Nuclear Power Performance Report 2018:

Quote:
Global nuclear electricity output was 2506 TWh, an increase of 29 TWh compared to 2016. This marked the fifth successive year that nuclear output has increased, with generation 160 TWh higher than in 2012.
Quote:
The capacity factor for the global fleet stood at 81%, maintaining the high availability of around 80% that has been maintained since 2000, up from the 60% average capacity factor at the start of the 1980s.
Quote:
There is no significant age-related trend in nuclear reactor performance. The mean capacity factor for reactors over the last five years shows no significant variation regardless of their age
https://www.world-nuclear.org/getmed...eport.pdf.aspx

From Wiki on Wind Electricity Generation:

Quote:
The annual average capacity factor for wind generation in the US has varied between 29.8% and 34% during the period 2010–2015.
More nuclear electricity generation is being added than wind electricity each year by a wide margin.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!