View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 11:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
litesong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrautBurner View Post
....I logged the first few tanks averaging about.....44mpg
then switched to NON-ETHANOL Regular (87oct)
the first tank.....got me about 49.5mpg and the 2nd tank got me 51.1mpg
this is a much larger difference than I was expecting....
I have 10+ years of experience with 87 octane 10% ethanol blend (E10) vs. 87 octane ethanol-free gasoline (E0). My 5 low-compression ratio, 87 octane gasoline engines show a percentage MPG increase, E0/E10 of 8%, 8%, 7%-8%, 7%, & 5%. E10 advocates tote the energy difference between E0 & E10 of 3% as showing only 3% MPG gain for E0 over E10. However, the following is important:
87 octane 100% gasoline component (E0) is 87 octane. duh!
Reported in many websites, inaccurate but "designated" 87 octane 10% ethanol blend (E10) has a gasoline component that is 84 octane. Because of great quantities of "ethanol in gasoline industry" propaganda & lobbying to artificially lower E10 prices, American drivers have accepted 84 octane component gasoline to be used (not efficiently burned) in their 87 octane gasoline engines. But, 87 octane E0, as burned properly in an 87 octane, low compression ratio designed gasoline engine, has 8% to 5% better MPG than inaccurate, but "designated" 87 octane 10% ethanol blend, which has neither ethanol component or gasoline component that is 87 octane.
Now the "ethanol in gasoline industry" is pushing inaccurate, but "designated" 88 octane, 15% ethanol-blend (E15). Inaccurate, but "designated" 88 octane ethanol-blend E15 has a gasoline component with an octane of 83.5.
If the "ethanol in gasoline industry" can successfully market inaccurate, but "designated" 88 octane ethanol-blend E15, they will then push inaccurate, but "designated" 87 octane ethanol-blend E15, which has its gasoline component as 82.4 octane. In all cases, the ethanol blends have no fuel components that are 87 octane & all ethanol blends are inefficiently burned.
The magic & power of propaganda to get people to accept products in their lives which are not "efficient" is remarkable.
///////
Glad to see you live in Sequim. I live on the east side of the Salish Sea (Puget Sound). Do you buy your Ethanol-free E0 at Chimacum or Port Angeles? Sorry, you have to pay so much for E0. Its still expensive, but on the east side here, I get my E0 for $3.42.

Last edited by litesong; 07-03-2019 at 12:15 AM..