View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #41 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Mowmar Cutoffy (riding mower) has a failed armature and I couldn't locate one in a timely fashion. Lawn looked like a jungle; should have been mowed a week or more ago. So I recruited a junker push mower that I scavenged years ago from when people put stuff out on the curb. I've never run it and after several hours of working on it saw why it was on the curb... not because it was hopeless, but the previous owner apparently wasn't mechanically inclined. For example, the blade was on upside down/backwards; the air filter was so dirty there's almost no way it would have started; and a few other flaws. Got it reasonably cleaned up then walked to the Fleet Supply store for a new filter and gas line. Sparkplug cleaned up well; gas tank and carb did too. Got it running, mowed one lap then changed the oil. Proceeded to mow but it kept flooding out, as in stalling with gas running out of the carb. Dropped the bowl and sure enough, the plastic float was full of gas. Walked to Fleet again but they had nothing. Went home and found another junker with a similar engine to steal the float from. Success!

Mowed. I haven't used a push mower on this place in decades. Sheesh for hard work! Well the place looked like a jungle so it was tough going.

So the good things today were having a good junker on hand, having the ability to resuscitate it for the low low cost of $5, knocking the jungle down, and getting a good workout. Now I can get the part to fix the rider at my leisure, used, instead of having to pay retail.