View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #6469 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil
It's flies. Spit one out, get another in the throat at the next breath. Ever tried running with your mouth closed?
I'm on a bike instead of running, but I can curl my lower lip into my mouth and the lip goatee and mustache make a double air filter. More for dust than flies, though.

edit: via S0:
Institute For Basic Science>News>Icebergs delay Southern Hemisphere future warming
Quote:
Climate researchers .... have now quantified for the first time this effect of Antarctic iceberg calving on future Southern Hemisphere climate. The team ran a series of Global Warming computer simulations, which include the combined freshwater and cooling effects of icebergs on the ocean. The size and number of icebergs released in their model mimics the gradual retreat of the Antarctic ice sheet over a period of several hundred years. By turning on an off the “iceberg effect” in their climate model, the researchers discovered that icebergs can significantly slow down human-induced warming in the Southern Hemisphere, impacting global winds and rainfall patterns.

“Our results demonstrate that the effect of Antarctic melting and icebergs needs to be included in computer model simulations of future climate change. Climate models currently used in the 6th climate change assessment of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) do not account for this process.” says Dr. Fabian Schloesser, lead author of the study in Nature Climate Change.

Dr. Tobias Friedrich, coauthor of the study, adds: “To melt the icebergs released over the 21st century in one of our extreme Antarctic ice-sheet retreat scenarios would require 400 times the current annual world energy consumption. Global sea level would rise by about 80 cm, impacting many coastal regions and communities worldwide.”

Last edited by freebeard; 08-13-2019 at 03:10 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-17-2019)