View Single Post
Old 08-31-2019, 01:00 PM   #288 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.75 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Looks like I'll be doing more driving this semester. Last semester pretty much all of my driving outside of 2 highway trips was short trips to church and back on Sundays, which barely affected my fuel log at all. I recently joined my university's FSAE team, so will be having a 11 mile each way (22 miles round trip) drive every Saturday morning. It's pretty much 99% highway, with constant rolling hills - not terrible for MPG.

First trip there this morning was about 84 mpg on the way there, and the FCD finished at 93.7 mpg by the time I got back. This was without any extreme hypermiling - only 5 mph below the 65mph speed limit, minimizing brake use, and EOC down steeper hills. I downshifted often (even when not necessary) to maintain speed, and wasn't as focused on keeping my mpg up, so getting close to 100 mpg is probably possible if I pay attention to my hypermiling. But then again, 90+ is good enough at this point.

On my return trip I can coast from my parking spot all the way to the highway without turning the engine on (1/4 - 1/2 mile) - there's just a gentle enough slope that allows that while still letting me get 70-95 mpg going up. Got a couple stares when I got in my car and it just silently started rolling away.

Car ran well, first time driving it in 2 weeks since the trip down here. Had the battery unplugged to prevent any parasitic drain from the Meanwell unit. It's parked in the sun, and it is very sunny down here most of the time, so I may get a cheap 25w solar charger/maintainer and throw that on.

It makes no sense why quite a few people have trucks and SUVs on campus. They're just so unwieldy to drive and park. My little Insight can zip around park without having to think twice.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)