View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #301 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Figured I was due for an update since it's been a while since I posted anything here.

Since the Insight doesn't have bluetooth, and I prefer to keep the stock radio, I recently ordered a FM transmitter to be able to stream music from my phone. My sound system has a higher calling than merely playing radio music, especially through those patches in the WV mountains where every station only plays country music. I'm not opposed to country music, but listening to it for a couple hours on end does get old.

Another reason for ordering this is partly from what Daox discovered in his alternator delete thread, namely that the Scangauge isn't completely accurate with voltage readings, something I was not previously aware of. Voltage readings on my Scanguage are slightly lower than actual voltage. The FM transmitter I ordered has a 12V battery voltage readout, fingers crossed that is more accurate. If not, then I'm not really any worse off than I was before.

This will allow me to set the fourth data display on the Scangauge to TPS, so I can keep honing in on my lean burn driving. This will let me view coolant temp, intake temp, engine load, and throttle position all at once, in addition to the 12V voltage readout on the transmitter. If I gain enough momentum on the downhill, and have the throttle right at the very limit of lean burn, I can climb most hills without going out of lean burn or downshifting.

However, my lean burn limit seems to vary depending on day and weather. Some days I can maintain lean burn up to 87% load; other days it will kick out at 81% load. Some days I can get as low as 70-75 mpg before it kicks out of lean burn, other days it will kick out of lean burn if I go below 85 mpg. 5th gear, of course. Hoping TPS can help shed light on this.

Down here at college I only drive once or twice a week, and my longest drive is 11 miles one way. Because of this, the engine spends a decent amount of time not warmed up, even with my full lower grille block. Because of that and all the hills, I do quite a bit of EOC to offset the mileage hit whenever traffic permits. Mileage has been in the 90s down here when the weather was warm (60+ *F). Recently temps dropped to the 40s so mileage has dropped to mid-upper 80s. The two times I didn't hypermile, once due to traffic and another due to running late, were both about 20 mpg lower. I'm guessing my old Civic would've been in the low 40s mpg if I had that instead of the Insight, mostly because I couldn't EOC in it (autotragic).

Probably a solid 10%-20% of my driving is EOC. Between that and the car just sitting most of the time here at college (another reason why I'm glad I deleted the hybrid system), it seems like my 12V may be living a rough life. Hopefully it lasts for a while longer, but if not then I'll be looking into a LiFePO4 replacement that I can easily disconnect and bring into my dorm to keep topped off, and of course reinstall a switch to turn off the DC-DC converter.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-11-2019), Xist (11-12-2019)