View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 05:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
teoman
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Thank you for the info. I have been looking at the chemical compatibility charts for some time now. But it just says incompatible without an explanation, does it melt or disintegrate...

Some solvents are not easy to get a hold of.

1,2,4 trichlorobenzen is a solvent. But i think it may need high temperatures.

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Wh..._Polypropylene
3rd post has a downloadable pdf where they try to dissolve PE PP and PS for spin coating.

"Polyethylene and polypropylene have high crystallinity degree structures, which means that to ensure dissolving of polymer pellets in solvent, the solution should be heated above the polymer melting temperature. These are 120-130 °C for polyethylene and 160-165 °C for isotactic polypropylene. To ensure fast polymer dissolving, the solvent must have a boiling point that is higher or comparable with the above mentioned temperatures and so decaline, anhydrous 99 % purity (Sigma Aldrich, mixture of cis and trans) was used (boiling point range of 189-191 °C). It should be pointed out that solutions of polyethylene and polypropylene in tetrahydrofuran and toluene are possible but require more than 6 hours to be obtained. When decaline was used as a solvent and the temperature was above 160 °C, complete polymer dissolving in both PE and PP cases were obtained in less than 3 hours. After the solution has been obtained, great care must be taken with its handling. The droppers used to transport the solution to the wafer need to be heated to 120 °C. The spin coater chuck should be heated up to 60-80 °C as well. The Si wafers should also have temperatures above 160 °C to ensure uniform surface wetting. If the temperature is below this value, PP and PE solutions adhere non- uniformly due to the high solution viscosity, as shown in Figures 5 and 6 respectively."

The process seems a bit too involved for my taste.