View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #60 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
best case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I don't understand (apart from just Tesla fan clubbing) why this article gets so much play and the detailed in depth analysis with detailed specifics and exact results I posted a link to gets zero play. I'm no engineer but am enough of one to know I would be embarrassed to even remotely claim to be an engineer and then scratch together that chicken drawing laking any details and run it through the most basic program and then not even give specifics. If you look at the detailed analysis that was done, the basic limited separation on the roof shown in the chicken scratch model is the same, but put in some details, still leaving out side mirrors any kind of wiper setup, having perfectly flush side glass, etc, and still it spits a .48 Cd. Seems like that is a best case number and people are acting like somehow somebody is getting a .30 on the thing.
Considering the numbers generated by Spirit at DARKO,and considering the Cybertruck's lack of cooling system,perfect belly pan,mirror delete,and lack of a cab-to-bed gap,as the prototype sits,it has the potential to come in under Cd 0.25.Compared to the Cd 0.36 RAM 1500, with cooling shutters,factory tonneau cover,and active suspension.
We need its frontal area when lowered,and we need it's EPA test weight.From its range we can estimate its power consumption per mile compared to other Teslas.With the weight and a guess at rolling force coefficient,we can guestimate its rolling resistance portion of total load,isolating the aero portion.And from the frontal area,the Cd should fall out of the math.
Pulling a range-extender trailer like BamZipPow's,the combination might crack Cd 0.17.I hope to know more about that next November.
freebeard (11-30-2019)