View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
4drviper
EcoModding Lurker

Accord - '12 Honda Accord sedan EX-L
90 day: 25.99 mpg (US)
Newbie hypermiler against the world.. (let's rant)

I think I piss off at least 30 people per hour of driving. You'd probably feel me if you ever tried to hypermile with other drivers around... I'm not even that good or crazy about hypermiling as all I do is look down as far as I can and coast to minimize brake usage and try to keep acceleration weak so I can't feel it but see it on speedo needle movement. And I end up keeping the engine below 2000rpm when accelerating except for the stupid short 1st gear which I cannot think of any other explanation than Honda trying to give people some creep so they don't roll back as fast on uphill. At 1500rpm, car goes 33mph in 4th and 47mph in 5th, I would give up the first gear if 2nd can be a hair shorter and have a 3.5th for speed limits between 35 and 50, but oh well the government wants a car that does well on its tests, not actually suited to real road conditions. 2000rpm in 5th is 62mph which is fast enough for me.
(2012 Accord 4cyl sedan)

I make sure to never get in the way of people except for those who races to a red light or stop sign.
Things I get multiple times daily:
- angry honks trying to make me accelerate faster
- cutting me off to get in front of me at the red light 300ft ahead
- trying to pass me but only to have me pull up next to him at the red light
- aggressively passing me on the straightways only to block my way in the corner when I try to preserve my momentum for the upcoming hill

I don't really care for the environment as in I don't believe anything I do will have much effect on the earth as a whole, but if I'm saving 3MPG and they're wasting gas like that I worry it might end up consuming more gasoline in the community I live in lol..

We should fix people's driving habits in general before talking about buying an EV and circle jerk about how "green" they are while enjoying the tax credit. I got banned at several EV sites for saying this lol. Sure, they have regenerative braking but it's not even close to 100% efficient and microscopic tire emissions is another thing we should care but don't because we can't.

So much more to write as I've learned much while preparing for Formula SAE so to summarize
- Hybrids get good MPG from optimizing engine load for best BSFC with CVT.
- Regenerative braking is only a fraction of the benefit
- I don't even want a motor drive, I just want a semi-automatic CVT with a dial to turn to set which rpm to stay on. I hate CVTs that mimic geared transmissions especially when under heavy demand.
- hotter coolant temp means less efficiency (fight me, seriously)
- People's minds are 1-dimensional but even more so when it comes to cars. Yes you government, yes you Tesla buyers, etc.

Good night.