View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
4drviper
EcoModding Lurker

Accord - '12 Honda Accord sedan EX-L
90 day: 25.99 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Air is better than water (fight me, seriously)
I can't fight you because I am with you 100%. As I tried to argue multiple times on PC forums where all people read is superficial "informative" articles and YouTube reviews, you don't need "water cooling" for everyday overclocking CPUs if your air cooler and case ventilation is set up right. Anyway, I just meant how many people think coolant is T-hot and ambient its T-cold where in reality the flame is T-hot and coolant(=cylinder liner) is T-cold.

Anyway.... so I have been kind of unsuccessful in improving my mpg as in I kinda felt the gas needle drop faster than when I drove slow like a grandma.
(Of course I still need to get UG so ... sorry about inaccurate speculation BUT)

I think it's because when I accelerate fast the torque converter is fully unlocked instead of partially locked. According to the service manual the TC operates in 3 modes, no lock, partial lock, and full lockup. But I think the "partial lock-up" is actually a range of stall between full lock and no lock, kind of like 20-80% slippage instead of just being right at 50% as I can feel the change while driving. Lock and unlock is easy, keeping it in the middle, I can kind of modulate how much it slips by varying amount of gas pedal.
(correct me if I'm on something here tho..)

So while I did optimize the brake specific fuel consumption of the engine, the transmission loss more than I gained through BSFC (I guess). I need to find some data on how much loss occurs between no lockup and full lockup in my transmission but why are Honda transmissions so secretive?? Can't even find proper part name/code names unlike Toyota which was easy to look up.