View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 01:32 AM   #75 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojogunn View Post
A few things more to consider:
Kona battery warranty stops at 10 years. At that point, the new battery cost will make the car not as viable as an ICE Kona. The feds state you have to support a vehicle for 7 years. Hyundai eventually will drop replacement batteries, and nothing you can do about it.
A. The battery doesn't automatically fail when the warranty runs out.
B. There is not a minimum amount of time that a company has to supply parts. Federal law says they have to supply parts as long as the product is under warranty. That's it. Once the last vehicle is out of warranty they can stop making parts.
C. Just because they offer parts doesn't mean they have to offer them at a reasonable price. A replacement battery pack for my Spark EV was $23,000. At that cost they can put one on the shelf and never sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojogunn View Post
Taxes? Here in california, our road taxes are stolen for the general fund. Losing that money will generate new taxes and schemes for the shortfall-
Things like mandatory satellite tracking of all vehicles, and you get a bill for miles driven has been put forth out here.
Oregon has a similar program called OReGO that I've been part of since the beginning. It works well and I think charging road usage fees by the mile instead of a gas tax makes a lot of sense.

You don't have to use the GPS tracker but it has benefits. With the tracker you only pay for miles driven in the state on paved roads. Without the track you pay based on odometer readings. You can also set up parental control where it will notify you if a certain speed is exceeded or the car goes out a set range.

California and Washington are doing trials and 14 western states are looking into a joint system. (A sat in on the recent OReGO quarterly meeting since it was done via Zoom due to COVID) I expect it will be the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-26-2020), redpoint5 (06-25-2020)