View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #77 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Just put road maintenance into the general fund budget and collect it as income or property taxes from everyone. Even if you don't have a driver's liscense you benefit from roads and highways as much as anyone else. Like Hoffa always said, anything you have came on a truck. The amount of time and waste in trying to split up levels of road usage and tax accordingly seems silly. Why is it just this area where this standard is applied? Why wouldn't this say apply to the schools? Sure education benefits even people without children, but like I pointed out so do the roads.
I agree. We should set income taxes and property taxes at a level sufficient to fund our budget, have everything go into a general fund and then allow our elected officials do their job and create a budget. However, that seems to be a minority opinion and the trend is to more and more specific taxes that go into specific funds.

If we are going to try to fund road maintenance through a specific tax / fund I think fee per mile works well and fairly charges people based on how much they use the road.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-26-2020), Hersbird (06-27-2020)