View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
If you ever lock your keys in the car with a kid or dog in it and end up having to break one of the windows out emergency style don't break one of the small ones! Just break the driver's window out
Reminds me the day my grandfather from mother's side locked an S10 with the key inside, and since it had a sliding rear window I was able to get inside (sure I wouldn't be able to do it again now) without any need to break a glass.

Quote:
The big main windows and windshields are stocked a lot more than small ones so if you ever have to replace a small window it's going to be double or triple the cost of the driver's window
If some of the smaller ones are plain instead of curved, it's not so hard to get a cheap replacement for it. If it's curved, occasionally getting a plexiglass sheet as a replacement for actual glass may be suitable. An uncle of mine has once bought a Volkswagen-based sports car from the '80s with a plexiglass sheet instead of a regular glass windshield, and when he got a windshield it was actually a sheet of plain glass cut to be adapted but had to fill some gaps with silicone glue as a stock windscreen would be unobtainium.