View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
"Doing Literally Anything from Those "30 Second Hack" Videos You See Everywhere." It seems like hack tips are like get-rich-quick schemes--they only make money for the creators, who put just enough effort into them to trick people to waste time and money. When the King of Random tried out hack tips they always found some that were real, if unimpressive, and they said there was just enough truth to lend the rest just enough credibility.
As long as it doesn't become a safety threat, some of those hacks are acceptable. Those get-rich-quick schemes on the other hand I always take them with a grain of salt.

Quote:
"Idling Your Car on Cold Mornings." This is why all of us are here, right? They say that you warm up your car because you wake up to a world of snow and ice, but instead of saying "Of course you want clear windows and a warm cabin!" they claim that we are endeavoring to avoid having an engine "liable to stall when you're halfway down the street."
I am pretty sure they did lose it, if they ever had it.
They said that only applies to carbureted engines and the last one was produced in 1990.
I am sure that isn't true in every country.
I remember when a '92 Fiat Uno with a carburettor-fed engine was totaled and my father picked a '98 Opel Corsa with multi-port injection as a replacement for it. Even though EFI is supposed to decrease warm-up times, my father still used to keep the engine on for a while to warm right after the start. Always with the garage door open and nobody inside.

Quote:
"Putting Toothpaste on Acne." I never heard of toothpaste on acne. Is their major demographic teenagers?
I had a lot of acne, heard of toothpaste on it but never tried. Makes me wonder if I would've spent less that I did on medical treatments for acne...

Quote:
"Making Your Own Sunscreen." I have not heard of making your own sunscreen either, but Pinterest is a place for uselss people to try to impress each other with how they waste time.
IIRC most of those baby ointments have compounds that can provide some sunscreening.

Quote:
"Wearing All Your Clothes to Avoid Airline Baggage Fees." I actually did this for a weekend trip. I bought tickets through Allegiant, a small airline out of a small airport. The flights were cheap, parking was free, and security was faster, but when I bought my tickets they kept offering to sell me services that I took for granted with real airlines.

Like free carry-ons.

I had paid to check luggage and that was lame, but carry-ons?!

I probably should have just paid whatever the fee was, but I bought cargo shorts, stuffed my toiletries into the pockets, and wore them and a t-shirt under my suit, into which I stuffed socks and undergarments. It was warm and uncomfortable, but fine, while they mentioned a singer who wore twelve layers of clothing, collapsed, and required oxygen.
On cold weather I wouldn't bother too much about it. Or maybe getting a tunic similar to the ones that are widely used by men in the Middle East, and fitting it with a lot of pockets inside and outside. Might not be so much more expensive than a good suitcase