View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #45 (permalink)
Charlie Cheap
EcoModding Pro

Ecky and Rooster, even as a Hot Rodder I always built for TORQUE rather than Horsepower to get the most out of the engine at driving speeds. Torque is for economy and ease of driving while Horsepower is for top end racing...at least to my thinking. My 40 Ford coupe was very aerodynamic with the only flat material on the car being the glass. All else is curved surfaces, and with attention paid to economy right after the 1973 gas crunch, I was pleasantly surprised at the 24-25 MPG at highway speeds using the AC. Using the big car flywheel that was about 10 lbs. heavier than the Mustang, and matching gears, tire size, and engine mods, it just worked. When I built my 6-cylinder Mustang I used the same thinking, and it worked again. Now I am using that same build thinking on my 4-cylinder, which makes good torque for a 4. I'll need it with a .75 overdrive and tall (relatively) rear tires. My cam is a Melling stock replacement with slightly better torque, so I hope I am in the ball park with my math.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie Cheap For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-06-2020)