View Single Post
Old 11-22-2021, 11:47 PM   #391 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Is that the rear passenger-side area below the floor where the battery is located? Seems similar to where the Prius locates the battery, which makes it extremely easy to put a LiFePO4.

What are the specs on this build?
Right behind the passenger under the parcel shelf. It looks easy to access but the battery clamp is extremely hard to take off (you have to bend one interior panel outward to slide the clamp off its extruded rail), and it took me about an hour to remove it.

It's a 40Ah 5S lithium titanate battery with a supposed 200A BMS (active balancing, low voltage and high voltage cutoff). I was hoping it would do everything perfectly, but after I installed it I noticed lights on the dash flickering and low voltage errors. I deduced it was probably the BMS momentarily shutting off power for some reason which caused a voltage fluctuation. I've seen other people on the internet saying their lithium ion batteries with BMS have done this too.

The ultracap bank is 16V 20F (6 caps in series), 20 bucks off Aliexpress. I figured ultracaps are best for this because the internal resistance on a small lead acid or NiMH battery would be too high for how much current the car draws, while the ultracap can put out 100 amps no problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
hayden55 (11-23-2021), redpoint5 (11-22-2021)