View Single Post
Old 12-14-2021, 12:32 AM   #95 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
I don't understand why Leaf prices are pretty much the same but used Bolt prices have almost doubled. A new battery shouldn't be worth that much. Chevys have been pretty good on battery longevity.
I guess it depends on if we are talking the older Leafs or the newer 2018+ Leaf. I see a bunch of older gen Leafs for cheap which makes sense:
  • Reputation for poor battery life
  • Slow - 0-60 in 10 seconds
  • Range - only 75 to 115 miles range when new
  • CHAdeMO charging which is now a dead format in the USA
The older Leafs are a city commuter car - which is fine if that is what you want but none of the first gen EVs with about 100 mile range or less have retained much value on the used market.

As to why Bolt prices are up - they were WAY down due to the uncertainty of the recall and battery fires. GM was telling customers to only use 60% of the battery capacity, don't charge overnight, and don't park inside and that spooks people. Then back in July GM announced a fix that includes a brand new (and better) battery. The uncertainty is gone and GM is doing right by their customers.

The newer Leafs (2018 plus with long range batteries) seems to be selling for the same price as a similar Bolt. The cheapest 2018 or newer Leaf near me is a 2018 S standard range for $21,000. The cheapest Plus model with 223 mile range is a 2019 SV for $27,000.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-16-2021)