View Single Post
Old 12-21-2021, 07:43 PM   #110 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
And there are more electrified McMansions built every month than EVs sold that use 1000’s of extra kwhrs every month, as said no one cares about that.

Last year the guy down the block “renovated” an older small home but didn’t want to $$$$ on converting the heat systems and adding forced air, his February electric bill was $700, mine was $72 of which $50 is fees and taxes
Also I own an PHEV he does not.

Seems to me we are worrying about the wrong problem
That is based on EVs on the streets now but what if 100% of all cars and trucks were EVs? total new housing starts for the entire USA are like 1.4 million. Many of those are to replace destroyed or end of life housing that is removed. I bet many of the new construction, even if larger, are quite a bit more efficient than the stuff they replace. Now every year they sell like 15 million new cars or 10 times the new homes and if all of them were EVs replacing gasoline cars that is certainly a bigger problem for the grid than homes. Plus many of the homes are in whole new developments with whole new grid added, where the cars go into older neighborhoods with old existing grids. Now also add millions of new fast chargers running even higher amperage. It's a bigger problem than you pass off.