View Single Post
Old 12-31-2022, 02:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDaly View Post
Redpoint, yes it seems that the current policy just "gets in front of a parade that is already moving" / mpg improvement. But note that when Reagan and his team jettisoned CAFE from 1982 forward, mpg that had been improving faltered and reversed (see below). Just sayin policy matters.
Please, educate me. Where on this graph did Reagan make fossil fuel consumption increase? Or, where on this graph did a blue-tie-wearing POTUS curb fossil fuel consumption?

It appears that financial disasters and pandemics have a bigger say than "policy".

I repeat my statement that it takes great courage to demand and coerce people into doing what they're already doing. As if I needed a know-nothing mouthpiece to assert their will, because not wasting my money needlessly wasn't incentive enough to not waste my money needlessly. I'm sure presidents are super knowledgeable about physics, economics, chemistry, organic chemistry, mechanics, and technology in general when they proclaim arbitrary MPG figures that must be met.

Why not just proclaim cars must get a bazillion MPG? That solves all problems instantly, because proclamations alter the fabric of reality and conform it to its will. We just need to find such a genius bureaucrat that is willing to assert such a thing, and surrender all liberty in sacrifice of said fictitious benevolent and omniscient god-person.

Heck, we could build a religion around this that's better than the rest! Move over Christianity, in 2,000 years nobody will know what the bible is, but we'll all realize the truth of CAFE. Imposing arbitrary metrics is certainly a religion that will stand the test of time.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 12-31-2022 at 03:29 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
JDaly (12-31-2022)