View Single Post
Old 01-08-2023, 11:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I won't pretend to be an expert on the auto market here in NZ (yet), but it seems to me that, once imports of vehicles (newer than a certain date) that did not have traction control were banned, all new vehicles sold past that point had traction control.

If the aim was to have traction control on all vehicles, it worked.

When I looked at the difference in registration costs between motorcycles / diesels / gasoline cars, I pretty much ruled out the first two. The motorcycle registration cost is apparently pegged to the relative increase in cost to the public healthcare system. I can only assume the same is true for diesels due to emissions differences.

As for fuel economy, the price of fuel largely seems to take care of that. If the US really wanted to improve fleet fuel economy, it could try removing some of the subsidies that keep fossil fuels artificially cheap. It's amazing how quickly people dump their guzzlers when fuel prices jump by $1.00.
Instead the US does exactly the opposite to consumers
Penalizing fuel efficient vehicles with extra registration charges.

In areas with Cities kei car law and taxes on 4wd automatics would motivate

additional “fuel taxes” with reduced/increased registration fees on what you want don’t want would help morph things also.
Major changes to car insurance could also be made into a motivator toward smaller more efficient vehicles.

But none of that is popular using carrots and sticks.

Always got to leave an out for the poor (which we also do the opposite)
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
JDaly (01-09-2023)