View Single Post
Old 02-03-2023, 04:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
'US 'bricks'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Here is concept vehicle using the devices that I was talking about in my first post. :
Shape-Shifting Hybrids - The Vauxhall Flextreme Hits 125 MPH While Getting 175 MPG (VIDEO)

QUOTE " The most surprising thing about the Vauxhall Flextreme is the fact that it shape-shifts at certain speeds. When the car goes above 30 MPH a vertical panel extends along the body and behind the wheels to make the car have more drag co-efficient."

( I see a typo there ... that should say LESS drag )

This is a low quality video of the car. Note what the announcer says about how the back end extends at speed :

Here is a much better view of the same car.
Note the use of clear inserts in the wheels between the spokes and the plugged grille up front.
Also, note the use of small cameras where the mirrors would be. They didn't talk about the shape shifting abilities of the car, but it's a good view of the car never the less.

Why is it that Opel ( a division of GM ) makes such beautiful streamlined designs, while we here in the U.S. are handed asymmetrical bricks on wheels ?
The OPEL Insignia was sold fairly recently in the USA by GM's Buick Division, as was the OPEL GT in 1969, and OPEL Kadett, as a Chevy Chevette in the 1970s into 1980s, along with others my memory can't serve.