View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
Gear vendors unit is a few thousand bucks. Even if it gave you 25mpg it would take years to pay it off in savings. A cheaper alternative might be to swap to a 4.3L vortec v6 engine. You can find tons of trucks with those motors and they are basically a bolt in swap for a a V8. the 96 up engines have really good power and can work pretty well for normal use Just use the 94-95 computer and wiring/sensors to keep from having to deal with the obd2 stuff if you don't want it. Also the 99 up 4l60e transmissions are stronger than the 700r4 you currently have if you can find one cheap and will work fine with the 94 up computers.

My Astro conversion van 4.3L with 4spd auto and 3.73(I think) rear end gears is getting right at 20mpg driven fast and totally stock. With a few minor mods like electric fans, synthetic oil, belly pan, and the right tires I don't see any reason why it can't be at 25mpg. It isn't as fast as the 305 engine but it has no trouble moving itself around and towing a car on a trailer as long as you are not in a hurry going up hills.
I've never had good luck with that 4.3, personally. It may just be the vehicles they are in, but I've used 3 different ones, and they all lacked power and economy in my eyes.

Although it might be a more expensive option, a 4.6L Northstar is a much better option. My mother's Cadillac does 30mpg on the highway, just cruise, no hypermiling at all, at 65.