View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
There are a couple issues I have with this.
1. It is a mistake to only look at highway numbers. All the manufacturers are doing that now on the commercials but it is not a realistic, nor entirely honest.

2. There's no substance to that article. Who has independently verified any mpg claims? People making claims are a dime a dozen (see fancy spark plug threads).

3. Aside from getting everyones naughty bits excited, what's the point? Ok, maybe that one is rhetorical
Wow.. way to make my "naughty bits" go limper than a worm on a hook... lol.

Normally, that's all you have to go on, is what others say... and the EPA estimates that are quoted in commercials are almost always wrong anyway... even before I knew what EPA estimates were, I was beating them consistently.

I can agree with not believing outrageous claims without substantiating proof, but the odds of hundreds of people reporting claims like this without any seemly background as related to each other (no way to make the story up together) are not very high.

It's kinda like judicial court... if 400 "witnesses" say they saw you do it, and they're all from different parts of the country, with no personal interaction between them, you're guilty.

That's my opinion, honest as it is.

In defense of the OP and anyone else who might make these claims, I've personally seen cars running mid 10s to low 12's and still pulling down 30-39 mpg average... probably 64/36 mix, highway preference, due to the area I live in... it's mostly highway, open stretches of road, 45-55mph limits, no red lights/stop signs.

My own Civic has about 120HP (estimated), and I can drive it like an idiot all day long, and still get 34 MPG... for those not in the know, that means that the car has 30% more HP than it came with, and still better than EPA estimates, both old and new.