View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
It was always parked in the "VIP" or "Ridiculously Expensive Rental" spot, but due to the lack of availability (and phasing the '07's out), they parked it in the "average guy" section.

I have to preface the mileage that minimal hypermiling took place: speed limits on the highway and soft acceleration at times, but that should have made up with handling tests and strong acceleration at times.

The Coupe and Convertible have the same EPA ratings, but the transmission choice determines your mileage:

6-Speed Manual:
17/25

Automatic:
21/28

I would bank that 30 could be attainable, but EOC would have to be minimal. Steering is quite difficult with the engine off -- likely due to the large contact patch of those 18" wheels/tires (despite the RWD config).

The auto is geared well and uses its technology to keep the RPM down in City applications: a paradox of mileages compared to the usual expectations of stick vs. auto. Technique, mods, and a good mix of additional highway miles (with fewer aggressive accelerations) would lend itself to much better mileage.

Further: the manual and automatic has the same final drive and final gear ratios; however, the manual has shorter gearing up to final, which may account for the difference.

Drag Coefficient is a stout 0.37.

I hear that you got to drive a Bimmer lately

RH77
I was afraid that the Drag Coefficient was way up there. But with those huge rims I figured you could turn some pretty low rpms. I think 35ish is would be pretty easy with out EOC just doing the norm. Thanks for the report.