Thread: AMA on noise
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Yeah. And what compels all those a******s to remove packing/baffling?
When Jane Goodall was studying chimpanzees in Uganda she noticed that the males would do a charging display aimed at the other males where they would run around and hoot and hollar and do everything they could to prove to the other male champs that they were the biggest, baddest chimp around. One of the young males discovered that if he rolled a couple of empty gas cans ahead of him as he did his display, their metallic clatter made a lot more noise than he could produce on his own and really intimidated the other males (and eventually allowed him to become the top male in his group).

Anyway, whenever I see some guy sitting in his modified-to-be-noisier ride, the image of that chimp comes to mind. The same primal urgings that drives the chimp to make his charging display are similar to the one that drives the young man to sit at the red light revving his loud engine. They both likely share a similar visceral motivation, an urge to want to intimidate the male competition. I know from my younger years, there can be something deeply gut satifying about rolling down the highway to the music of a loudly throbbing engine.

Last edited by basjoos; 12-25-2008 at 03:43 PM..