Thread: AMA on noise
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
adam728
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda3 - '08 Mazda 3 S
90 day: 29.65 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '13 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 46.16 mpg (US)

Wife's - '12 GMC Terrain SLE-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichotomous View Post
yeah sound testing is pretty much why there is ignition retarding and tall gears on all the sport bikes sold in the usa. you dont think supersports would be more fun if they were geared lower than 100mph in 1st gear? makes it so they can be reving low at 35mph, also there are usually butterfly valves in the mufflers to open up more "to increase or spread power"... yeah thats BS, they are just cheating the system.
Exactly, making bikes to pass the sound check procedure, but not make them quieter in operation.

Dirt bikes are tested pre SAE 1287 spec. Basically it's holding the meter 20" from the exhaust outlet, at a 45 degree angle to the side of the outlet. The test is performed at rpm equal to 1/2 of peak power rpm. So if Honda rates your 250F to make peak power at 11,500 rpm, then you are sound checking at 5,750 rpm in neutral.

The problem isn't fully to blame on the manufacturers, a lot falls on the general public. Still too many people think loud = power, or safety. The YZ450F gets good reviews from magazines on it's power and lower sound level, yet I have yet to see one with a stock can in place. At one time I got in a bit of an argument with a Harley guy, who told me his friend was a moron. Friend got a new bike, and $1K towards accessories, which he spent on a leathers and a helmet. This guys thinks his friend was dumb and should have gotten pipes. His argument was that with a quite bike you are for sure going to get in an accident and need the leathers and helmet, but with a loud bike people will know you are there and you won't get in an accident.

I think I'm one of the few that thinks electric dirt bikes are going to be great, once everything is worked out. I can see myself going with one once they are proven. There are many haters though.