View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
taco
Master EcoModder

Johnny 5 - '81 Honda Cm400e
90 day: 42.86 mpg (US)

Da bike - '06 Honda Shadow Vlx deluxe
90 day: 59.47 mpg (US)
months of sarrows.

well over the last few months, i have had problems and a few more problems.

it all started in Oct, my truck began idleing rough, and changing gears funny(manual).

well i bought 4 new ngk platniums, and inspected the wires. no cracks or arch marks. it smoothed out a little and i blamed the shifting on the cooler weather.

then the middle of the month came and i snapped part of 2nd gear off. a combination of age and a really bad miss shift plus a lil ( ok, alot) added abuse over the years. ( explains the 3 u-joints i have went through )

after about 1500 to fix that, new tranny and transfer case. it was running what i thoughtwas its normal. still mpg dropped, blamed cold weather.

then i got into the lil game, drove like hell, the numbers came up. i tried harder than i ever have to get great mpg, still lost

then it snowed and i realized my tires were bald and i mean bald, i couldnt make it up a hill in 2wd. i decided to drop to almost stock, which may hurt me, maybe. had 30x9.5 r15 now 235/75 r15. another 500

well the other day my rough idle, which i thought was normal became rough acceleration in low rpm maybe, a slight miss, 2 days later. random missing during idle and rpms under 2000. sucks being 65 miles from home and have a bad miss that makes it hard to pull out.

well i said lets start simple. three things needed to run. air, fuel, spark.
air - all clear no leaks, clean filter, everything tight. no go

fuel - no leaks , filter was changed about 60k ago, pose to be lifetime, could feel injectors pulsing, everything seemed on, no effect.

spark - no archs or bad looking spots, no shocks also but i remember these are my stock wires( will tell later) lets get new. i pulled each plug out regaped, and installed new wire. fire it up and it idled so smooth. yay!

well, now it idle smooth, power feels smooth, more low rpm pep. +++
(70 buck fix)
on my first trip to work and back netted 28 mpg in the rain!

i am back on track.

wire story, at about 100k, i decided it was time to change plugs and wires. bought me 4 denso iridium plugs, and autozone lifetime wires.

three months later, i got a nasty miss, like i dropped a cyc, it did it all the way through the rev range. poped the hood, got the crap shocked out of my by the wires, took them back. got another set, about 4 months later same set up. took them back, then got a miss again, this time the tips off the iridum plugs burnt off at 30k on them. got standard denso u groove, solved for 7 bucks, didnt mention this happend on a 200 mile road trip, changed them in a autozone parking lot.

well over 1.5 years i returned 6 sets of wires. i got sick of it and bought ngk 8.5mm wires. well they kept popping off the post, (common problem) simple fix but after a few months, i got annoyed and threw them out. i put my stock wires on and now at 260k miles they finally gave out ( prolly had 210k on them) so that is why i didnt hesitate to order oem plug wires again.

well he is running great again lets hope nothin else happens..
i do need to have my valves adjusted for the first time.