Register Now
 Register Now

Trip log for: rik's prerunner
Trip log index: Work commute
  • Avg: 29.74 mpg (US)
  • Max: 33.5 mpg (US) 2008-12-08
Trip date Fuel economy Details
2008-12-02 29.7 [*** Note: This initial set of uncalibrated numbers is 10% higher (about 2.8mpg) than actual fillup.*** ] This was the first trip with vortex generators across the roof. I didn't notice any difference except that they were noisy. No more drag than before. I need to try along the sides and tail. Scangauge read 29.7 on the first leg. I drop about 1mpg coming off the freeway, up to 1.5 total counting the last big hill. Yesterday was 28.8 here and 28.7 back with big front deflectors, which I removed: they were ugly and draggy. Maybe some fairings behind the wheels. The biggest difference is the belly pan. I need to finish that. I also want VGs of some sort on the sides. Edit: This first set of numbers is based on a calibration of 0% and +0. It was 10% too high.
2008-12-02 29.5 Traffic forced me to stop 25 miles into my 31 mile commute. I got 33.2 for the first leg. For the rest of the trip three hours later, I got 22.3. It's hard to tell about the VGs. At times I definitely feel like there is more drag, and despite my best numbers ever, I feel like it's not giving me my best coasts. I'd definitely like to get some on the sides in some fashion. And on the tail and belly, too.
2008-12-03 30.6 This was my best straight-through commute number so far by quite a bit. By "legit" I mean full-length with city driving at both ends. The conditions were pretty good, as I got mostly green lights and coastable stop signs. I didn't make any aero changes last night as I hoped - maybe tonight I can get the front half of the belly done.
2008-12-03 30.1 Return commute: I had a tougher time this trip maintaining good speed and had to gas more than I would have liked. At one point I ran into stop-and-go heading uphill just as I passed 32mpg and that killed it. This happens too often, so I'm just going to request earlier hours. But on the plus side, I've gotta be pleased that this was my first 30mpg round trip commute!
2008-12-04 30.4 To Work: I so wanted to beat yesterday's numbers, but it was not to be. I was counting on the finished belly screen to bump it up a few, but I countered that with some mishaps. Firstly, I forgot to set my alarm, so I woke up in a panic, and was frazzled on the commute. As I was pulling out of the driveway, I heard something strange under the car, so I was idling for a minute at 1gph fussing over the belly screen, for which I forgot to take into account the turning of the front wheels. I didn't have time to repair it, so I just left it - it was probably flapping the whole way. Overall though I think the added screen in front helped. At least in a few spots, I had incredibly smooth and fast acceleration. The other mods were zigzag tape in a few places, on the leading edge of the roof, the A-pillars, the mirrors, and on the rear fenders. I'm hoping to reattach the belly screen during lunch.
2008-12-04 30.5 Return commute: Not too bad, and if I hadn't run into the traffic jam... :-) Seems today's round trip is a new record, too. I temporarily "fixed" the belly screen at lunch and I think it was a little helpful. I found I was able to n-coast down a couple of long hills that I normally had to DWL at 60mpg, so I was able to hit 30mpg pretty early in the trip. Unfortunately, I hit a few pile-ups, so I was fighting with 30 the whole rest of the way. I did reach my top score of 32.3 at the usual spot, despite the jams, but the next hill jam killed it as usual. I need to really fix the belly screen now and make it taught. Right now it hangs and it rubs horribly on turns - at one point on a slow turn, I think it actually caught, b/c it felt like I had a flat tire! I'll also make an attempt to shorten the height of the VGs.
2008-12-05 31.2 To Work: Best ever! by .6mpg, no less. Of course since I lose on average 1.5+ mpg on the last hill and getting off the freeway, I had to put up some big numbers to get there, so today I saw my best Trip Av ever: 32.5, just before the hill crushed it. Mods: 1) I repaired (again temporary, but more solid and out-of-the-way) the belly screen to make it taught and 2) I cut the vortex generators on the roof down to 1 inch. They look like hell now, but that'll be a weekend project. Are they working? Dunno. But they aren't hurting. I wish I had a coastdown location. Not that there's no difference, but I don't know what's due to the belly screen. I definitely attribute my numbers to a better coast - actually the ability to coast a few long hills that I couldn't before - more ease keeping a steady cruise at 52mph with 36-42mpg, and even the ability to hit some slight hills at 50mph with 27-30mpg.
2008-12-05 31.3 Another best! This despite what was really a disappointing run, because I couldn't keep speed at all. Temps have started to drop much lower than normal, and I left work very late to avoid traffic. What kept the numbers up was that I drove 45 to 48 on the 65mph freeway. How embarrassing! I used my hazards a few times. But I am pleased to know that I can do it if need be. I couldn't do that before without dropping out of overdrive, so I think my ECU is catching on to my hypermiling. *** BUT *** The terrible news of the day is that there great numbers don't mean jack, because by ScanGuage was off!!!! I filled up after the commute, and was anxiously waiting for my fillup to end, and it just kept going... it was off by 10%!!! How frustrating. So my actual fillup for the week is 27.69mpg. Higher than last week, but when you're expecting 30+, it's devastating. So what's the judgement on my mods now?? I really need to use the scangauge spreadsheet to get this calibrated right.
2008-12-08 33.5 Return commute: Fillup - Not ScanGauge. Holy crap!!! Can we say, "Yay, wheel mods"?? Holy crap!! And the thing is, I thought this was a crappy day. My calibration being so far off that my morning average said 24.3, I just couldn't hit my marks with any confidence at all. The coasts were much improved, but DWL was sloppy. I've reset my calibration to 10.1% gal, +2mph (from +25%). And I just leave my "bad" morning commute in there for the sake of recordkeeping. At the very least, it may help to average out last week's inflated numbers. Holy crap!! Edit: I forgot to add that this wasn't just "wheel mods day". I also remembered to fold back my passenger side paddle mirror.
2008-12-08 24.3 To work: My Scangauge is under recalibration (+25%gal,+2speed), so this week's numbers will be low. I wish I knew HOW low! 24mpg is a lot different from the inflated 31mpg I was getting last week. My actual for last week was 27.7, and based on that I calculated my best normal commute at about 29. I expect I can hit a true 30 this week, with the new mods: Rear Wheel Skirts and Smooth Wheel Covers! Based on my estimate, I need about a 3.1% improvement to break 30, and others seem to experience about 5% with those together. BUT I did remove the vortex generators from the roof. I'm hoping by tomorrow or next day to have a mini-roof-spoiler. The wheel mods: I think the car did feel better today, at least in terms of coasting, which definitely seems to have improved. Today's drive: The way-low calibration messed up my drive big-time, since I don't know my marks any more and gave a lot of gas when I didn't need to. Maybe the better coasts helped, but maybe not, since I usually tried to P&G them, and that just doesn't work in the truck. I'm thinking I'll fillup today and recalibrate. I had it at 20% yesterday, but bumped it to 25% at the pump. But my short tanks are always way off, so I shouldn't have done that. I'm going to reset it to 15%, which should get me closer.
2008-12-09 28.3 To work commute. (Better SG calibration this time 10.1%gal,+2mph) *** EDIT: This calibration turned out 4.2% low and resulted in a 30.01mpg tank. *** I got to my car this morning to find that the tab on one side had detached. Because it was cold and dewey, there was no way I was going to get it to stick, so I left it dangling. Otherwise it was solid, and it made the entire 34 mile drive. My ScanGauge is calibrated a lot closer now, and marks are easier to hit. Not my old marks, mind you, but marks nonetheless. I think it's still calibrated low, but it's close enough not to be maddening. If it's not still really low, then I'm worried that my engine is starting to lose efficiency now that it's well out of its stock sweet-zone. I'm not sure that's a good diagnosis of my experience though... I'll have to meditate on that. My nicest discovery ... I can Pulse-and-Glide now! Not everywhere, of course, but at least on some moderate downgrades where my previous choice was limited to DWL at 65mpg. And I was totally able to coast all the way down a few long hills. I noticed the same after the wheel mods yesterday, but now it's even better. I don't like the look right now though, so I'll be in a hurry to upgrade to a full "fastback". I'll probably procrastinate today by folding paper designs of the folds and cutouts I'll need.
2008-12-09 28.5 Return commute (Cal 10.1%,+2): I tried a different route today, but I got derailed by traffic and spent the rest of the time in a cafe, waiting it out. I won't try that direction again. It was a total wind corridor, and not fun at all. While I was killing time, however, I was able to repair the "kerchief" with some mounting tape and black duck tape I picked up at the grocery store. It looks much better than now than it did at 4 when I strapped it with the gray kind. I'm so pleased with my coasting. I've probably doubled my coasting time. Numbers should be good. I feel like this calibration is at least 2-3mpg too low right now. But on this return commute, there were moments when the SG numbers felt much closer to what I'm used to. But only moments. It could be that the SG becomes more accurate through the tank, and numbers will go up by the end of the week, which has seemed to be the pattern. I will say now that it feels like I need to throttle harder to keep my speed up. Now I wish I'd been watching TPS and LOD before. Maybe it's just an illusion brought on my recalibrated monitoring. I hope so.
2008-12-10 28.6 Wed Return commute (SG-Cal:+10.1,+2) How remarkably consistent, despite very different drives. This one could have been better had I not stopped and let the engine cool down all the way with only 2 mi to go. No probs with mods that I know of, but I felt like the aero was off, as my coasting, while good, didn't get me all the way down a few of those hills like they have before. It didn't seem to be windy from looking at the trees. Weird.
2008-12-10 28.5 To Work: Wed- Second commute on this tank. (SG-Cal: 10.1,+2) The numbers on this run felt closer to what I'm used to than yesterday did, but still pretty low. I'm hoping that means that I'm outperforming on this tank with a low calibration, and not that I'm stretching the BSFC curve too thin with these ecomods. I need to watch TPS and LOD more, but I'm not used to that. No mods last night. The kerchief held fine overnight, and looks just as stupid IMHO as when I originally installed it Sunday. For the sake of data collection, the fuel gauge is a hair above 1/4 tank at 112.6 mi. on the odometer. I've never marked 1/4 that I can recall, but 1/2 tank has corresponded to a 7gal fillup. If I used that to estimate that I'm at 3.5gal, that would correspond to 32mpg. That said, my tank is erratic due to a bizzare U-Shaped tank, and this is a known issue on the Taco forums. So who really knows???
2008-12-11 27.8 Thurs Return trip (SG-Cal: 10.1,+2): Well this was a tank killer. Relatively speaking anyway. Attributable to stopping for two hours to avoid traffic just before a huge hill, meaning I'm climbing a hill with a cold engine. Sux. But man, once it was warmed up, it performed pretty well for the most part, allowing me to cruise a few flats at SG 36mpg with TPS 13, which I just couldn't touch before this last mod. I do need to repair it a touch.
2008-12-11 29.5 Thu To Work Commute (SG-Cal 10.1, +2): Wow! Everything was so much better this morning, and this showed up in the trip average, with a 1mpg gain after four consecutive 28.5/28.6 commutes. Mods: I added "Fastback"-Style Cab Fairings and attached them to the roof spoiler to make "Cab Kamm" sort of thing. The difference didn't show up in coasting (which has been much improved over the week with a combination of wheel mods, roof spoiler, and passenger-side mirror foldback), but it showed up directly in the mpgs I was able to hit at cruising speed. I've expressing all week with my calibration woes how frustrating it has been not being able to find and hit my cruising marks on the ScanGauge, piddling around just trying to get a 30mpg cruise going. But today I could cruise well over 30mpg while keeping my customary 52mph. This does make me suspicious that maybe this isn't entirely due to aero, but a 1mpg gain is probably expectable with this mod, so...
2008-12-12 29.7 Fri Return trip: (SG Cal 10.1%, +2) 8pm No traffic, decent temps. The car continued the mysterious trend of increasing cruise numbers. At TPS 13 I could hit 40mpg and hold 52 on many pieces of road - I wasn't able to do that all week. I filled up at the end of this trip at 30.01 for the tank. Scaled, this run was probably 31.0mpg.
2008-12-12 29.4 Fri Morn (SG Cal 10.1% +2) Nothing remarkable, similar to the rest of the week.
2008-12-12 29.7 Fri Return (SGCal 10.1 +2): Filled up at 30.01. Woohoo!! Scaled agaist the week average, this run was about 31.01mpg. <Calibration notes: SG reported av was 28.78. = diff of 4.2%>
2008-12-15 26 Mon morn to Work (New SG Cal 8.6%,+2): Well so much for setting any records this week! I think this calibration is pretty accurate, as I used it over the weekend. This big difference is that it's raining all week -- Winter is here! My new mod in the works is a "half-back" spoiler. I installed in this morning. It made it about 20 miles in freeway in rain before the reinforcement fell off, and I had to pull off and just carry it in the bed.
2008-12-15 26.9 Mon Return commute (SGCal 8.6 +2): Rain, rain, rain. Plus a long stop about 2 mi from home that allowed the engine to cool. Note: No Tonneau cover.
2008-12-16 28.5 Tue morn commute (SGCal 8.6 +2): No rain and not a bad drive, really. I wish I would've tried harder! No tonneau makes a big difference. 2mpg is about what I gained when I put it on.
2008-12-16 26.7 Return (SGCal 8.6 +2) Rain plus long stop at Lowes. No tonneau.
2008-12-17 27.5 Wed Morning (SG 8.6 +2) Rain. No tonneau.
2008-12-17 23.7 Wed return SG 8.6 +2: Heavy rain, hydroplaning, no tonneau, stop at Lowe's.
2008-12-18 28.8 Thurs Morn SG 8.6 +2: No rain!! The effect of no tonneau is clear. Oh well maybe not exactly... the passenger mirror hasn't been folded back all week either. And come to think of it, I haven't confirmed this calibration either.
2008-12-18 27.4 Return trip SG 8.6% +2: No rain. No tonneau. No mirror fold. Some traffic.
2008-12-19 28.2 Morning trip (SG 8.6% +2): No rain. Tonneau is back on. Mirror folded back. So this should have gone better. There was nothing terribly wrong about the drive, but maybe I was aiming too low after all the rain. Come to think of it, I did accelerate hard quite a lot more than usual, so that's probably it.
2008-12-19 27.8 Fri return SGCal 8.6% +2: The week's fillup was 28.0, which isn't too bad for a rainy week when I didn't try too hard. The SG was more accurate this week predicting 26.9. I've reset the calibration to 7.7%.
2008-12-22 28.7 Mon Morn (SGCal 7.7% +2) I didn't finish the fairings last night so I'm just using the spoiler. Man, is that thing huge! Something went wrong in construction, so it sits a lot higher than it's supposed to. I think I'll lower it in front so that the angle is flatter. The angle needs to be flatter anyway so that I can see - I added some area to the construction that has caused it to be much more obtrusive. The other mod is an "instant WAI" by cracking opening the airbox and taping over the cold air intake. I'm going to remove this mod this afternoon. I was hoping it would speed up warm-up, but that didn't happen. I also felt like it was requiring more gas uphill. Many of the effects could be due to more drag from the spoiler, since the fairings aren't on, but it's hard to tell.
2008-12-22 26.3 Mon Return SGCal 7.7% +2: No rain. Stopped halfway to Christmas shop, leaving myself a huge hill to climb with a cold car. The "instant WAI" was restored to normal. The giant spoiler was left as normal. I didn't feel like it was helping all that much without the cab fairings, and the numbers were pretty much expectable.
2008-12-23 30.2 Tues to Work SGCal 7.7% +2: Plexi Cab fairings and spoiler installed. It was a lucky drive to get over 30 this morning, but the difference showed up nonetheless. I was able to hit much higher numbers at each TPS setting, and it was easier to accelerate and coast. There are still problems with the shaping that I'll need to fix. Next up: Put air in the tires already!!!!
2008-12-24 31.9 To Pasadena from Vista (SGCal 7.7% +2) I hit 34.4 before hitting stop-and-go about halfway through. My flat-road DWL was 38mpg, and I was able to use P&G a lot.
2008-12-25 33.3 From Pasadena to Vista (SGCal 7.7% +2) I can't believe how much friction LA and Orange County I-5 has. This trip was almost entirely downhill, but I had to gas every bit of it, frequently fighting to stay above 50mph, so it was absolutely no advantage at all. Once I got close to Oceanside, the freeway smoothed out again so I could coast some, but I actually gained nothing from it at such a late stage in the drive.
2008-12-26 30.3 To Work (SGCal 7.7% +2) A respectable 30.3 on the way here on our first "freezing" day. Normally the engine warms up well before I reach the freeway, but today it didn't even begin to warm up until I was on the highway for a minute. By the time I hit I-5 I had only hit 26mpg, which is ok, but I've gotten 28 before.
2008-12-26 29.8 Fri return (SGCal 7.7% +2) Lots of wind made this a ridiculously frustrating drive. I couldn't coast worth a damn. The week finished at 30.01, same as the week before last. My calibrations turned out very close at just 1.6% high. This means my all-time high reading of 34.4mpg was really 33.8mpg - not too shabby!
2008-12-29 30.1 Mon To Work (SGCal 7.7% +1, 44degF, calm, I5/78 26.5mpg): Well, this was disappointing! Since I finally made my tire valves accessible and pumped my tires, I was hoping for better. I also plugged the tunnel under the spoiler. Other redo-mods were to both grille blocks. Any of these could be the source of drag. I do need to keep in mind other calibration issues -- in this new calibration, the miles are reading 1.8% low, so the actual mpg for this trip may be closer to 30.6. Also the SG has hinted at an unconfirmed tendency to read low at the beginning of the week. Still this is not looking like the huge leap in mpg I was hoping for. I bet I've introduced some drag into the system, especially since I haven't finished everything. I'm looking forward to the day when I can run some ABA and sort some of this out.
2008-12-29 29.1 Mon Return trip (SGCal 7.7% +1, 70-75degF) 4 separate trips, which was too bad as it was a nice day and I found a new way out: I got 30mpg by the time I hit the freeway! But I took 56 to get to my dentist appt, which is all uphill.
2008-12-30 30 Tues to Work (SGCal 7.7% +1, 15.5@V/78, 26.0@78/15), Wind +2, 44degF) Decent drive and felt it was coasting well, but no luck in LJVD lights. Still, I think I should be getting better numbers. Given expected calibration error, this might be 30.5.
2008-12-30 29.8 Tues Return home (SGCal 7.7% +1) Wasn't as successful with the drop down Genessee and hit two pileups. Not terrible. With error, maybe 30.3.
2009-01-02 29.2 Fri To Work (7.7% +1, Temp 44, very foggy) Ouch, this one hurt. Engine didn't want to work at all today. A lot of P&G helped salvage this drive in which the engine didn't want to DWL at all. I got to the 78 at 13.2mpg, and to the 5 at 24.9mpg. It didn't warm up until the third exit. Coasting was great, but acceleration was sluggish and really hurt the P&G effort, but I'm certain it was better than DWL this morning, as I couldn't hold worth a damn. Mods: Added 2psi to the fronts. Partial front skirts. Non-leaky tunnel. Passenger mirror delete. Non-leaky grille. Valves below covers.
2009-01-05 29.1 Mon to Work (SGCal 7.7% +1) AWFUL! This was actually going really well, but I tried a different way to work and missed my turn down a long hill. I should have gotten 30.8 or more. I actually hit 32mpg before Sorrento, which was a first. Heck, I never hit 32 at all last week. A good start helped, and I got to the 78 at 17.5 and to the 5 at 27.5, which I hadn't done yet - both are 1.5 higher than anything last week. I don't know why, but the car responded much better today. I P&G'd most of the drive, but DWL worked today as well. Wind was "calm". Not much moisture. 36 degrees. It was slow to warm up, so I was more strategic about P&G this morning.
2009-01-05 30.2 Mon Return - Bad light-day. Couldn't coast Genessee. But otherwise the highway driving was ok. 54 deg, sunny. Wind SW 6mph. Humidity 60%. Hit 32mpg at 78.
2009-01-06 30.8 Tue To Work (SGCal 7.7% +1) 45deg, wind 2mph ENE, 14.7 at 78, 27.5 at 5, 32 at 805 split. Did not over-pulse as much. Hu
2009-01-06 28.2 Tues Return trip (7.7% +1) Bad start with no coasting, then hit a terrible jam before VDLV, had to stop. Attempted after 10 mins. Managed 31.8 for the next 21 miles. Then stopped for 3 hours to shop for mirror-making stuff.
2009-01-07 30.8 Wed to Work 7.7% +1, 38deg, calm, 15.5@78, 27.5@5, 31.8@last hill and at ljvd (no loss is achievable!). New mod: Driver's mirror folded back. I made a lot of mistakes. And technically this should be a point or two lower b/c I forget to load the SG until I was out of the driveway and coasting past the bank. Sg tank says 30.0mpg. This counts Saturday's return from Temecula as well.
2009-01-07 25.9 Wed Return : Terrible. It started out with a stupid coasting mistake that got me only 13 at the freeway entrance, but when I hit a pileup at Palomar Airport Rd, I mistakenly took it. Never do that again!
2009-01-08 29.6 Thursday to Work 7.7% +1, 42deg, calm, 15@78, 24.9@5, 30.3@last, 30.4@ljv. Bad drive, all me. I just sucked on this one. My new seat position has affected my feel, and I can't hit the DWL positions. Last night's drive to OC (32.5mpg) really saved the tank.
2009-01-08 27.5 Thurs Return 7.7% +1 Wind 6mph wsw 60F 67%h. Bad start again - 12mpg at freeway. I may try ljvd instead. Managed 30.0 by the time I stopped at Costco for 2hrs.
2009-01-09 30.7 Return commute (SG 7.7% +1, 57deg, moist): Not a bad run, but I couldn't get warmed up at all. With this new route out of the lot, I can coast a lot of that distance, and it just doesn't warm up well. Funny that I can be coasting a steep hill and only get 20mpg because of the cold idle. I was lucky not to have any pileups. Note that I didn't fill up today. I was figuring to go to OC tomorrow and decided I may as well put it on this tank.
2009-01-09 30.5 Fri to Work 7.7% +1, 45F wind 3mph ne 86%h, 15.1@78 28.0@5 31.8@ljv - Decent drive w/o too many mistakes, but caught in traffic at offramp, forgot to fold back mirror. SG says tank @30.0, miles reading is exactly right on. Still hoping this calibration is way low, like it was last week when I filled up at 31.5mpg off a 30.0 sg reading.
2009-01-09 32 Fri Return 7.7% +1 - This was the first Friday I've tried Genesee after hours, and it definitely helped, as I was able to get to the freeway at 20mpg instead of 13. Stopped to fill at Melrose as usual, at least except for last week. The fill was 29.9mpg. ScanGauge predicted 30.1. BUT, last week was way high at 31.5. I'm thinking Shell shorted me, resulting in a high reading, and meaning that I'd fill up more this week. So I figure I should average the last two weeks to get an average of 30.7mpg the last two weeks. I'm resetting the calibration by a tad, to 7.9%. So if I assume 30.7mpg the last two, this means today's commute was about 32.8mpg.
2009-01-12 32 Mon to Work: New SGCal 7.9% +1, 60F, Wind ENE 8, bp30.15+. With a strong tail wind and warm morning temps, this was my best commute score ever. I got to the freeway at the normal 15.5, but had 29.7 when I hit 5. I had 33.3 at the bottom of the hill. MODS: Altered the gap in one spark plug to a hair above spec from about double what it was supposed to be. Added a small flat mirror the end of the driver-side.
2009-01-12 31.5 Return SG 7.9% +1, 78F, 6wnw, 20@5, high 33.8.
2009-01-13 31 Tue To Work: sgCal 7.9% +1, 45F, ene6, bp30.1= : 16.0@78, 28.4@5, 30.0@enc, 32.1@hill. Mods: Corrected gap of another spark plug. 2 changed total. Also 1) added tape to the wheel crescents to round them and block the hole, 2) added a fairing to the front of the folded mirror, and 3) taped down the top of the cab fairing. I may delete the mirror fairing. [[[ Wait a sec..... I think I moved my calibration the wrong way!! I should have moved it down. Dork! ]]]
2009-01-13 29.8 Tue return sgCal 7.9% +1, wind 6ene, 78F. 15@5, top 32.1, hit pile up at college. Tank says 30.3mpg.
2009-01-14 31.3 Wed to Work sgcal 7.9% +1. 44F, Wind E4, 15.5@78, 28.3@5, 30@lacosta,32.2@hill. Decent drive, a few mistakes. sgTank says 31.0. MOD: Lowered angle of spoiler.
2009-01-14 30.5 Wed return 7.9% +1, 75F, wind NW5, 15@5, 30@78, two pileups at del mar and one at carlsbad. decent, considering. discovered scholars drive way out. Tank says 30.9.
2009-01-15 31.1 Thurs to Work 7.9% +1, 47F, Wind ENE6, 16.2@78, 27.5@5, 30@leu, 31.8@hill. No New Mods.
2009-01-15 30.2 Thurs return: cal 7.9% +1, 70F, wind wsw10, 14@5, 31@78, 30.6@vw. Jammed from DelMar thru Carlsbad, again at College. Amazing that I held on, helped by a great tailwind, then fortunate lights in town.
2009-01-16 31.2 Fri to Work: cal 7.9% +1, 47F ene6. 15@78, 27@5, 30@enc, 32.1h@hill & ljv, decent lights but 1 bad driver. made a few mistakes. SGtank says 30.8mpg.
2009-01-20 30.4 Tues to Work 7.9% +1, ene6, 54F. 16@78, 25.8@5. Pileup killed it, but at least it was on a downhill.
2009-01-20 31.5 Mon return: 7.9% +1 wind ssw4, high 33.7mpg @78, 33.1@mlr, Two slowdowns that cost me but otherwise held well.
2009-01-20 31.5 Tues Return: 72F, had 33.1@ml
2009-01-21 31.9 Wed to Work: 7.9% +1, 58F, 18.5@78, 29.7@5, 30@pal, 33.4@hill. Slowdown at ljv, otherwise good lights. Shorter pulses and higher speed coasts, focusing on not losing OD as much. I felt like my OD cut out at a higher speed on the coast, i.e. higher shift points - not sure. SGtank says 31.3
2009-01-21 32 Work to San Clemente to home with a 4hr stop due to traffic. 77.4 miles total. SGTank says 31.5 at the week's halfway point.
2009-01-22 31.5 Thu to Work (7.9% +1) 55F, ene2. 28.8@5, 33.2@hill. Tank is solid at 31.5mpg with 2/3 of the short week done.
2009-01-22 30.6 Thurs Ret (7.9% +1) Nice day, wind at by back supposedly, but bad start 14@5 that took forever to make up. High of 33.1. SGtank says 31.3.
2009-01-23 31.6 To Work Fri (7.9% +1) 55F and some rain. 16@78, 30@leu, 32.9@hill. SGtank at 31.36mpg.
2009-01-23 31.5 Fri return, 9pm, 58F.
2009-01-26 29.6 Mon to Work (7.9% +1) 55F, sw11. 15@78, 25@5, 30.8@hill. Space cadet on 78, tried to P&G too much. Bad headwinds.
2009-01-26 31.2 Mon return: Near perfect driving but no help from the wind or on Genesee.
2009-01-27 30.4 To Work Tue (7.9% +1) 40F ene4, 16@78, 26@5, 31.3@ljv. I need to get the 78 numbers back up. Probably pulsing too much. Or is the lack of the over-front-wheel mini-skirt on the left side hurting that much? Can't be. It must be the return to cold weather. After 3 runs, the tank says 29.8. eek.
2009-01-27 30 Tues return: Stopped at VDLV for 2 hrs, then extended trip to San Onofre to home. I can't believe how tough it was. I didn't count on the headwinds. The second leg got 30.8.
2009-01-28 30.5 Wed to Work 40F, ene3. 28.5@5, 30@santafe, 31.8@hill. 78 was better by less p&g. still made some huge mistakes on this one. Tank is at 30.0mpg.
2009-01-28 30.6 Wed Return 50F, late return with decent start. Tank says 30.0mpg.
2009-01-29 31.6 Thu To Work: 40F, ene10. Slow start but managed, despite many mistakes. 27.4@5, high 32.6@hill, lost at LJV light. Wind must've been helpful somehow even though ene is a crosswind on the 5. Tank says 30.3mpg.
2009-01-29 31.6 Thurs Return: 72F, Late return, good start, 30@vdlv, high 33.4.
2009-01-30 30 Fri to Work: 40F, Very Slow start, 25.5@5, 30@manchester, 31.3@carmel, bad light at ljv. Tank at 30.3mpg.
2009-02-02 31 Mon to Work: 48F wnw5 on 78 ene5 on 5. 15@78, 28.1@5, 30@leu, 32.1@hill, bad break on clogged exit and lights. *Debut of Front Wheel Skirts.
2009-02-02 30.7 Mon return: Late return 60F ene4, great start 20@5, 31@vdlv, but the hills killed me. It seems that I'm doing much worse on hills. It can't be just the temps, b/c it happens on warm days too, like today.
2009-02-02 30.7 Mon return: Late return 60F ene4, great start 20@5, 31@vdlv, but the hills killed me. It seems that I'm doing much worse on hills. It can't be just the temps, b/c it happens on warm days too, like today.
2009-02-03 30.6 To Work Tues: 48F ene5. 16@78, 27@5, 30@manchester. Middle leg sucked. Again, I'm having a hard time on hills. I'm wondering if I accidentally messed the calibration up. Tank is hard to read, b/c i forgot to reset it after filling up. But that's weird, too, b/c the calculated mpg is 33.7mpg, which would be nice, but is ridiculous, and doesn't correspond to the trip aves at all, which are about 30.7.
2009-02-03 31.1 Tues return: 60F ene4. Great start 21@5, high 33.8 several times. 32.6 stopped at Lowes. 17.6 to home. Still hill problems, but not as bad.
2009-02-04 31.1 Wed to Work: 40F ene4, Good start 17@78, 21@emerald, 28.5@5, 32.1@split. Hills were better today. Heck if I know why.
2009-02-04 31.1 Wed Return 58F
2009-02-05 30.4 Thu To Work, 48F.
2009-02-05 27.6 Thurs Return. RAAAAAINNN! And that causes pileups.
2009-02-06 28.1 Fri to Work - RAAAAAINNNN! At least no one minds if I drive slowly, but.... this sucks.
2009-02-06 29.8 Fri Return: 55F, Mostly clear, Some rain, light winds in my direction. Good start, but again, the hills killed it. High 32.0 at 78.
2009-02-09 25.7 Mon to Work: 44F wind +15wsw with heavy rain, slowdowns.
2009-02-09 26.9 Mon return: 40F with 20mph headwind. It was helpful on the last leg though, picking up 3mpg.
2009-02-10 28.1 Tues to Work: 35F ene5, 19@emerald. I lost a real wheel skirt! I never saw it go, but I do remember someone honking pretty randomly.
2009-02-12 29.6 Since Tuesday: Cold week 40F mornings, 50F evening, with frequent headwinds. This is 265mi / 5.57g. High of 31.4 to work Thu, low of 27.6 return (2 stops) Thurs. Tank is at 28.8mpg.