||2006 Honda Insight MT
|Coefficient of drag:
||IMA battery completely deleted, gasoline only. Current weight is right around 1800lbs.
Bought with 254K miles for $1500. Mechanically perfect. 99% rust free for being a Michigan car. 1 owner except for the guy I bought it from owned it for 1 week and didn't like it. Has none of the common issues with Insights - no oil leak, no transmission grind, no wet seatbelt issue, almost no rust, rear hatch works, power locks and windows work. Body needed a little bit of work - a little bit of the paint in some areas was scuffed and needed retouching (mostly fixed). Driver's mirror was bondoed on (since removed). Front pumper is pitted and I am hoping to repaint or replace it eventually (partially touched up).
254,800 - valves adjusted, new 12V battery installed
255,000 - ground straps replaced
255,500 - brighter reverse LEDs installed
256,000 - panoramic rear view mirror installed
256,100 - passenger mirror deleted
256,200 - smaller driver's side mirror installed
256,300 - license plate light replaced with LED
256,400 - Regen switch wired up and rear belly pan installed
256,500 - Car detailed and paint touched up
256,600 - Scott's belly pan installed
257,500 - LED brake lights & running lights installed
258,500 - Oil and filter changed, front-mid belly pan installed (connects Scott's to mid area panels), LED headlights installed, custom center armrest & console installed
259,300 - WHITE/GREEN wire on DC-DC cut to keep 12V fully charged
260,500 - Added additional underbody paneling to the rear of the car
260,900 - Fixed rear hatch not locking, replaced front speakers with Polk DB652s, and replaced upstream catalytic converter and all surrounding hardware.
261,700 - Deleted IMA battery along with computers and wiring. Bypassed starter relay.
261,900 - Deleted DC-DC converter, MDM, and heat sink. Replaced with Meanwell HRP-600-15 pseudo-alternator
263,400 - Replaced driver's side parking brake lever and cable, and installed 8" subwoofer.
264,000 - LED flasher relay and LED turn signals installed.
264,200 - Finished rebuilding rear post-IMA delete.
264,300 - Oil and filter changed, tires rotated
265,900 - FM transmitter installed. Clutch system bled and fluid changed.
Best full tank: 93.39 MPG (882.2 miles, filled on 8/9/2019).
Best partial tank *: 111.87 MPG (178.6 miles, filled on 7/24/2019). **
Best long trip (>100 miles): 98.4 MPG (128.0 miles, 8/16/2019).
Best short trip on level ground (<100 miles): 128.5 MPG (6.5 miles, 8/3/2019).
* Partial tanks are full tank fill ups, but mileage does not include pizza delivery driving, which is logged separately.
** This complete tank was 918.7 miles at 92.12 MPG.
||2006 Honda Insight MT Build Thread
- Bridgestone Potenzas @ 80 PSI.
- Lower grille block
- Hot air intake w/ intake resonator deleted
- Rear wiper and motor delete w/ plug, -3lbs (link to buy)
- Passenger mirror delete, -3lbs
- Smaller driver's side mirror, -2lbs
- Scott's belly pan (link to buy)
- Coroplast front-to-mid belly pan (connects Scott's to mid area panels)
- Coroplast rear belly pans
- Brake reduction clips (link to buy)
- K&N air filter
- Full synthetic oil (0w20, Honda recommended)
Comfort & Convenience
- IMA deleted along with computers and wiring, -72lbs
- Arduino bypass for off road use only. Lean burn code used with leanburnminactivationspeed set to 27 (22 mph)
- DC-DC converter deleted along with MDM and heat sink, -32lbs
- Meanwell HRP-600-15 PSU pseudo-alternator and hardware, +4lbs
- SQL 100A Amp 3 Phase Diode Metal Case Bridge Rectifier (link to buy)
- Aluminum bar from IMA compartment repurposed as a heat sink for the Meanwell PSU.
- Bypassed starter relay for instant 12v starting
- Two (2) Scythe Kaze Flex Sealed Precision FBD 120mm fans as intake and exhaust fans for the Meanwell compartment (89.3 CFM, 2000 RPM fixed, 38 dbA) (link to buy)
- Honeycomb fan grilles to protect Meanwell compartment cooling fans (link to buy)
- Switch to manually control operation of Meanwell compartment cooling fans
- LED flasher relay for LED turn signals (link to buy)
- Rubber floor mats, +3lbs
- Panoramic rear view mirror, removes blind spots (link to buy)
- Paint touched up with OEM Honda Rally Red (Civic SI coupe OEM color). Very close match to the Insight's New Formula Red
- Ecomodder window sticker
- Modified center console from 6th gen Civic w/ custom armrest
- Replaced front speakers with Polk DB652s, +2lbs
- Shift knob from 8th gen Civic (2006-2011)
- Rockville RW8CA 8" 600 Watts Peak 150 Watts RMS Under-Seat Slim Amplified Car Subwoofer (link to buy)
- 1" rear and 1/2" front seat risers
- Rear speakers delete with rear rebuild
- Rear rebuilt for more storage space after IMA delete
- Rear carpet done with near-perfect matching Medium Dark Pewter Superflex Ozite Automotive Carpet
Instrumentation (besides factory):
- Brighter LED reverse lights (link to buy)
- LED license plate light
- White LED front parking lights (link to buy)
- Front side parking lights delete
- LED "CK" non-polarity-specific brake/taillights (link to buy)
- LED headlights (link to buy) Note: No longer available in the Insight's size in white (9003/H4)
- LED turn signals (link to buy)
- Scangauge II (curtesy of Ecomodder & Linear Logic: Ecomodder 11th Anniversary Contest)
- Torque Lite app as an altimeter (hypermiling tool for hilly and mountainous driving)
Comfort & Convenience
- Lithium LiFePO4 12V 8AH battery, 4 HEADWAY 38120HP cells in series (batteryhookup.com) ($65)
- 4-in-series LiFePO4 BMS, 45A charge, 80A discharge, 220A peak discharge ($45)
- Relocate battery to interior rear
- Redo mirror deletes with aluminum
- S2000 e-brake handle
- Steering wheel from 8th gen Civic (2006-2011)
- Polk DB652 rear speakers in custom boxes
- Add a louder horn in addition to stock horn
- FM transmitter with 12V battery voltage reading
- Swap out the VLT parameter for TPS on the Scangauge
|Official Fuel Economy Ratings
|Actual Fuel Economy Performance
|Last 3 tanks
|View Fuel Log
Last updated: Dec 11, 2019