The Kinderwagon Project: 1997 Chevrolet Suburban LT
Displacement: 5.7 L
Fuel type: gasoline
Transmission: automatic
Curb weight: 4634 lbs
Coefficient of drag: 0.45
Frontal area: 0 sq.ft.
Instrumentation: other
Description: Car is fairly good in shape. I am just starting the project. Originally, no changes were intended, but I am curious as to how far I can get the gas mileage with small mods.
Build Thread:
Current Mods: Operating efficiency mods / updates:

- 2011: Tune all ignition components to above-new conditions. Usual stuff: new coil, new wires, new correct plugs, new air filter, etc.

- 2011: Swap all fluids to new, if applicable to synthetics
Rear Differential: Fully synthetic - Liqui Moly Hochleistungs Getriebeöl GL4 SAE 75 W 90 w/ PML Differential Cover
Transmission: Fully synthetic Valvoline Dexron 6 w/ PML Transmission Pan
Engine: Partially synthetic 5W30 (I think its from LiquiMoly)
Front Differential: Still outstanding.

- 2011: Started to replace all interior lighting with LED lamps. More for the fun factor, than efficiency. But the lack of warmth of the lamps is comfortable if you come near the lamps and nice to know if you leave the lamps on for a long time.

Current Weight Reduction:

- 2011: Good cleanup of vehicle. Remove all junk, stuff and things not belonging in a car.
- 2011: Removal of rear bench
- 2011: Removal of spare tire (more space even)
- 2011: Removal of roof rack failed - bolts are to strong together to do a removal without fear of breaking anything (in case it goes back on later).

Current driving / Software:

- 2011: Combined PLX Kiwi Module with Iphone and the Rev 2.0 app for monitoring data and fuel mileage
- 2011: Trained right foot for either steady driving (less efficient, but for local streets) or steady throttle position (more efficient, but not useable for local streets (except Sunday, early)).

Planned Mods: Operating efficiency:

- 2012: Reducing tire size and rolling resistance by removing the oversized tires to smaller more road worthy tires. Also lowering vehicle body by using smaller tires.

- 2012: Currently testing a MDS 6A box for 71 Chrysler. If better efficiency is found, maybe try it on the Kinderwagon?

- 2012: Change the current cooling solution (belt driven / engine mounted fan) to an electric fan system (lower noise when not on, less work for engine).

Weight Reduction:

- 2012: Further reduction maybe by changing rolling stock (wheels / Tires)
Official Fuel Economy Ratings
EPA city 11 mpg(US)
EPA highway 15 mpg(US)
EPA combined 12 mpg(US)

Actual Fuel Economy Performance
Lifetime 14.76 mpg(US)
Last 3 tanks 14.76 mpg(US)
90 days No data entered
View Fuel Log
Last updated: Sep 05, 2011

(Created: 2011-08-07 14:58:47 / Modified: 2012-01-05 16:31:32)