Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #21 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Driver View Post
I'd find 9, but you are missing one under the hood that's on the plastic engine cover that's designed to make the engine look larger than a rabbit to convince people you show the car to that it has a cylinder displacement larger than a standard sized bottle of oil.
That engine cover is silly. The three cylinder-suggesting lumps don't even line up with the cylinders, with one of them being over by the IMA motor.

Yes, the 9th H is on the steering wheel, and I didn't count any H's that aren't legible from a few paces away.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
The only thing I am worried about is the fact that I have to make a trip through the mountains every few months, and I don't know if an Insight just running on the 1.0L would be able to hack a climb like that.
Yes, it will - because even with a perfect battery, you'd run out of charge in about 2000 ft of climbing. The trick is to keep engine RPMs & load in a range where assist doesn't come on, otherwise with the standard IMA, once the battery is low it will tick on a bit of charging even when you want every bit of power for climbing. MIMA is a great help here.

I spent a couple of years driving across the Sierra via Calif 88 through Carson Pass (sea level to 8000+, and back to 4500 ft), and drive this road Nevada State Route 431 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia a couple times a week on average, as well as other mountain roads around here.

PS: On an open highway, you'll probably want to run in 3rd while you're climbing. For best mpg, though, you want to keep the RPMs below about 3000, where the VTEC shift point is.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Musician w/ Light Wallet

SeaBiscuit - '98 Honda Civic DX Hatch
Team Honda
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
I wouldn't worry too much about the Insight being able to get through the mountains. Even without the IMA, you can always downshift to fourth or third if need be. You might have a little extra noise, but the car is so light, it really shouldn't need more power.

Now, I'm not talking from experience here, but I seem to recall reading a thread somewhere of a guy driving with a completely non-functional battery pack and still getting good mileage out of the car. I don't recall any complaints about the performance either.

Even if your batteries are indeed toasted, I'm still jealous.
JMac

Edit: Didn't see Jamesqf's post. Definitely explains it better than I.

Last edited by JMac; 04-14-2011 at 05:10 PM..
Old 04-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
JMac -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post

Even if your batteries are indeed toasted, I'm still jealous.
JMac
Me too! What a great bargain.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 04-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Ok, thanks for the confidence boost on the mountain travel, though even if I do get stuck I am pretty sure I can run faster scared than a bear could run hungry.

So here's an odd question - I have a set of VX rims, would there be any advantage to using those on the Insight, or are the factory Insight rims the best choice?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pretty sure factory rims are best. They're very light, lighter than anything but a very few specialty aftermarket rims. Same with tires, the OEM are about the best you can find. Honda did put a lot of work into lightening the Insight, reducing friction, etc.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
Musician w/ Light Wallet

Team Honda
Quote:
Pretty sure factory rims are best.
I agree with Jamesqf. I've done a good bit of research on Insight wheels (going to be buying some in the coming weeks), and they're about as good as it gets. It is worth noting that the VX rims are 13" as opposed to the stock 14", and are less aerodynamic. Insight wheels give you the better gearing ratio at 14", and are nearly as good for aero as the mooncaps. Lastly, you wouldn't have much choice in 13" tires.

But hey, if you wanna sell those Insight rims, you've got a buyer right here. Too bad I just tried to talk you out of the VX rims... Forget everything I just said! Go with the VX rims and sell the stock ones!

Hope this helps,
JMac
Old 04-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I really dont get how people find deals like this, don't shells usually go for more than that?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
Musician w/ Light Wallet

Team Honda
Quote:
I really dont get how people find deals like this, don't shells usually go for more than that?
Yeah, it's pretty amazing. When you have a skilled negotiator, and someone who doesn't know that he has one of the most fuel-efficient (mass-produced) vehicles ever, you end up with a great deal. At least, I'm guessing that's what happened. War Wagon?

JMac
Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Mwah ha ha I can't give away my secrets! Just kidding, I used to work at the biggest wholesale (dealer only) car auction in western Canada for 10 years. I don't anymore, but I still go there every week. I saw the Insight buried in amongst the SUVs and F350s, and thought to myself "I bet no one here will even know what that car is." And I was right. There were 600 car dealers at the auction that day, and there was only one other person that looked at it and bid on it when it went across the auction block, if it hadn't been for him I probably would have got it for $1000.

I'm not usually in the right place at the right time, but when it does happen it usually works out pretty well!