Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah I was always under the impression that synthetic or a blend is a bad idea for cars of this age.

I haven’t changed the transmission oil yet, but had a problem shifting the other day. It just wouldn’t go into gear for a bit while trying to upshift, and I ended up slowing down from 55 to about 30 before I could get it into a gear. I started flipping the clutch pedal with my foot while trying to get it in gear and realized it was probably a clutch issue. The previous owner had just put a new clutch and master cylinder in it, and it made me think that while engine of coasting and popping the clutch to restart, I might have had some air in the lines traveling to the slave cylinder and causing the problem.

I got home and bled the slave cylinder the best I could by myself, and haven’t had the issue again yet. And it seems less problematic than it did when the problem started to arise. Also, the previous owner circumvented the clutch interlock switch by not reconnecting the plug to the switch, and putting a jumper in the two pin plug. So I can start in neutral or in gear, and don’t need to depress the clutch to start the engine.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2021, 01:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
I hadn't heard about issues using MTF in older Hondas. Wasn't my experience.

For the 3G and 4G Civics, Honda recommended 30, 10w-30, 10w-40, or 20w-40. I think I used Honda MTF for well over 100k miles in my '91 Civic. Didn't have a bad bearing until I swapped in a CRX HF trans with unknown miles. If I recall correctly, I put the MTF from the old trans into the HF trans and drove it with a noisy bearing until the body rotted away. I meant to put fresh fluid in it after I knew it was a usable trans, but never got around to it.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 10-06-2021, 02:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
If engine oil is recommended I'd recommend engine oil.

If I'm not mistaken, 70W85 gear oil is about the same viscosity as 10W30. I don't see why some GL4 wouldn't work though.