Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
Lower it more!!! Put it on the ground! Scrape the frame rails!!! Haha it looks good man. Very interesting to hear a new egr made it better. I've been using mmo and had mild success.
I wanted to make sure I still had some clearance. 2 inch drop to me sounded like alot, but I guess in civic terms it is not that much. Glad the MMO is starting to help out. It really makes alot of difference in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Also, those HX wheels look great, but smooth would be better!
HX wheels with smooth covers would be even better right? Best of both worlds. Light and smooth.

I think it was your smooth covers I saw with spokes on them (painted I assume.) I am going to check with a sign friend of mine to see if he can make some alloy wheel decals to resemble a stock honda wheel. Probabaly a long term out though as I want to do the belly pan and a kamm first.

Thanks again for the help with the aero template overlay tool!

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #92 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
HX wheels with smooth covers would be even better right? Best of both worlds. Light and smooth.
Yup.

Quote:
I am going to check with a sign friend of mine to see if he can make some alloy wheel decals to resemble a stock honda wheel.
That would be neat. They've been doing fancy wheel decals on smoothies in F1 for a while now.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
They've been doing fancy wheel decals on smoothies in F1 for a while now.
Are these readily available? I wonder if they are cheaper or higher quality than what could be fabbed up at the sign shop?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
I was wondering and didn't google it but I know that the d15z1 goes into lean burn easier I guess. Correct. Now with a 0bd2 0bd1 jumper harness couldn't you run a p07 ecu. All plug an play I'm assuming that the p07 would run the hx motor as they are both lean burn setups. Heck and obd1 ecu will run any d series motor I know that. I'm assuming that it would properly run it as they are both vetc e. That being said you could possibly enter lean burn more often and without the 2 mile run ect. Just an idea possibly. I you were to have e check in Cinci you could easily swap your ecu back if need be. Just a thought. I have a spare p07 if the idea crosses your fancy.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #95 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Are these readily available? I wonder if they are cheaper or higher quality than what could be fabbed up at the sign shop?
Probably not widely available: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-car-8379.html
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 11-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #96 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

turbovr41991, I have a question for you if you don't mind.

From the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991
I have a 5th gen VX (1994) trans in my sixth gen CX (1997).
I'm trying to do this exact swap.

What t-bracket did you have to use?

Were you able to use the stock 6th gen t-bracket or did you have to use the t-bracket from the 5th gen? I know that the rear mount is the same between the 5th and 6th gen, but which t-bracket did you end up using?

What about the upper mount? The 5th gen has a 1-piece mount vs. the 6th gen has a 2-piece mount. How did you get this to work?

And which VSS did you end up using?

Thank you for your help.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #97 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Interesting news. With using MMO, I was able to achieve low RPM lean burn when the car had recently been started, but if I exited lean burn due to traffic or low RPMs, high throttle or load, etc I struggled to get back into lean burn below 2400. On my Trip up co Michigan, I discovered if I exit low RPM lean burn, I can shut the car off and EOC for 10-15 seconds (or more), restart the car, drive 1-2 miles, and get back into low RPM lean burn! So that seems something electrical resets when the car shuts off to allow low rpm lean burn again. End result was 52.8 mpg while going 65 - 70 mph most of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody123 View Post
What t-bracket did you have to use?

Were you able to use the stock 6th gen t-bracket or did you have to use the t-bracket from the 5th gen? I know that the rear mount is the same between the 5th and 6th gen, but which t-bracket did you end up using?

What about the upper mount? The 5th gen has a 1-piece mount vs. the 6th gen has a 2-piece mount. How did you get this to work?

And which VSS did you end up using?

Thank you for your help.
I will check when I get home but I am pretty sure everything I used was 6th Gen. Both T bracket and upper mount. I don’t remember the VX trans coming with a bracket, but I could be wrong. It has been a while as this was the first mod I did to the car (bought it with a bad transmission so it has had a VX trans nearly since I bought it.) I am out of town currently and only have one civic to compare against right now. Once I am home I can compare against the rusty HX (now D15Y7 powered) to be sure.

I also used the stock CX VSS. Speed reads slightly faster than the actual speed by 2-3 mph. However, the odometer miles are actually about .5 to 1 mile LOWER than what the gps says in distance traveled on a full tank of gas. That makes no sense to me… I guess the stock cluster is inaccurate to some extent on speed. I have fine tuned my MPGuino to be dead on with the GPS speed which is a much better method.

Quote:
I guess it is something to look into. Along with rear wheel well covers that look stockfish too. Such a long list of possible mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty94cx View Post
I was wondering and didn't google it but I know that the d15z1 goes into lean burn easier I guess. Correct. Now with a 0bd2 0bd1 jumper harness couldn't you run a p07 ecu. All plug an play I'm assuming that the p07 would run the hx motor as they are both lean burn setups. Heck and obd1 ecu will run any d series motor I know that. I'm assuming that it would properly run it as they are both vetc e. That being said you could possibly enter lean burn more often and without the 2 mile run ect. Just an idea possibly. I you were to have e check in Cinci you could easily swap your ecu back if need be. Just a thought. I have a spare p07 if the idea crosses your fancy.
I have considered this, but am waiting to see what the shop in Columbus comes up with for a possible ECU solution. I believe they are using a jumper harness and a chipped P28 for their results. I will definitely keep you in mind though.

Last edited by turbovr41991; 11-23-2012 at 12:32 PM..
Old 11-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #98 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I will check when I get home but I am pretty sure everything I used was 6th Gen. Both T bracket and upper mount. I don’t remember the VX trans coming with a bracket, but I could be wrong. It has been a while as this was the first mod I did to the car (bought it with a bad transmission so it has had a VX trans nearly since I bought it.) I am out of town currently and only have one civic to compare against right now. Once I am home I can compare against the rusty HX (now D15Y7 powered) to be sure.
I also suspected that the t-bracket and upper mount bracket were the same, but without having done it I won't know for sure. I will try and hope that it fits.

Quote:
I also used the stock CX VSS. Speed reads slightly faster than the actual speed by 2-3 mph. However, the odometer miles are actually about .5 to 1 mile LOWER than what the gps says in distance traveled on a full tank of gas. That makes no sense to me… I guess the stock cluster is inaccurate to some extent on speed. I have fine tuned my MPGuino to be dead on with the GPS speed which is a much better method.
Thank you for your comments.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
I'm not trying to sell or push anything I just had a passing idea and thought that the po7 would give better lean burn. That made me wonder if you had ever has or considered the idea or if it had been done. And the Eco shop as you probably have seen has the hx ecu now. I want to know what they are running and what software.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
I've found that the springs on these older Honda clusters tend to get weaker over time which results in the speed reading high. To fix this on my cluster I simply popped the needle off and stuck it back on 3mph lower.

Reply  Post New Thread