Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #421 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
It makes the calculations based on the resistance across the coil. Given that it’s waste spark there will be an obvious difference in amperage from the coil that’s firing on compression versus the one firing on exhaust, and the ICM looks for that difference to generate the cam signal which allows sequential fuel injection
Interesting. On a sidenote, it makes a wasted-spark ignition not look so much like a half-ass attempt to get rid of a distributor

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-13-2021, 01:14 PM   #422 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
It does make the waste spark setup more useful than it is without that, however given that the ICM is looking for a certain resistance it takes away the ability to play with high voltage coils or low resistance spark plug boots or possibly the new Ruthenium plugs as there’s a chance to throw a cam sensor code and go back to batch fire fueling. The system has to have some tolerance built in because it’s still running okay with factory original plugs at 229K, but I’m afraid to experiment too much

My last Ecotec project...
Old 09-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #423 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
The system has to have some tolerance built in because it’s still running okay with factory original plugs at 229K, but I’m afraid to experiment too much
It's OK to be quite skeptical, but it would be interesting to find out if it's able to "learn" other parameters to adjust for spark plugs with a different spec.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #424 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
So, with the spirited driving season nearly behind me, I’m planning to dig back into Ecomodding the Saturn. My first minor project involves the front bumper, sealing up all the little gaps/cracks in it. Would HVAC tape be sufficient to seal up the bumper and then paint over? I’m sealing the covers over the fog light holes, and possibly one of the side vents (the other would feed air into the intake ideally)

Last edited by 19bonestock88; 10-04-2021 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary negative
Old 10-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #425 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Would HVAC tape be sufficient to seal up the bumper and then paint over?
Do you mean those tapes with an aluminium side? That would most likely be easier to paint than some tapes without a metallic coating.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #426 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
I was indeed talking about the aluminum foil tape. Just wanting to seal up the nose without the expense/effort of fiberglass. I also need to get serious about adding weatherstripping, but I need new lights first. I’m also planning to add subframe connectors and cut out the spare tire well to replace with a flat panel for weight reduction. Car is currently 2500lb with the sticky tire setup and the smaller group U1 battery. I still wanna switch to a lithium battery and move it into the cabin, so save cable weight and to retain a small battery, but the experience so far with the group U1 has shown me that extremely low capacity batteries can potentially be problematic, so instead of 38120HP cells for 200A and 8 Ah, I’m going to use 40152S cells for 200A and 15Ah.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #427 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
I also need to get serious about adding weatherstripping
If it's gonna be done in a similar way to how the firewall on JDM cars converted from RHD to LHD in Paraguay is sealed, with lots of those aluminium tapes and foils, it's not rocket-science. Most often I see weatherstripping done around the windscreen of some econoboxes.

Quote:
I’m also planning to add subframe connectors and cut out the spare tire well to replace with a flat panel for weight reduction.
Replacing the spare tire well with a flat panel used to be more common in my country when certain cars were converted to CNG with underbody tanks. I have even seen a local derivative of the Opel Meriva converted such way, as it was a police cruiser and fitting the CNG tanks inside would be totally out of question. Sometimes the entire floor board of the trunk was removed, which could eventually allow you to save even further on weight depending on what replacement for the stock sheetmetal you end up using.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:19 AM   #428 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
If it's gonna be done in a similar way to how the firewall on JDM cars converted from RHD to LHD in Paraguay is sealed, with lots of those aluminium tapes and foils, it's not rocket-science. Most often I see weatherstripping done around the windscreen of some econoboxes.

I’ve added some aero elements to the bumper made of coroplast and I wanna seal the seams up for a better look and better function and then paint over afterward.

Quote:
Replacing the spare tire well with a flat panel used to be more common in my country when certain cars were converted to CNG with underbody tanks. I have even seen a local derivative of the Opel Meriva converted such way, as it was a police cruiser and fitting the CNG tanks inside would be totally out of question. Sometimes the entire floor board of the trunk was removed, which could eventually allow you to save even further on weight depending on what replacement for the stock sheetmetal you end up using.
A drag racer modding the Saturn Ion platform once said that the spare tire well weighed over 50lb due to thickness and the amount of metal. If I can replace it with a couple cross bars and a sheet of polycarbonate or something and shed 35-40lb from the car I’d be ecstatic. I’m trying to pare the weight to 2400lb or less before potentially adding hybridization or boost. I think it’s vaguely possible, though I’m not sure exactly how much original GM parts would be left by the time I got there

Old 10-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #429 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

[QUOTE=19bonestock88;657011]A drag racer modding the Saturn Ion platform once said that the spare tire well weighed over 50lb due to thickness and the amount of metal. If I can replace it with a couple cross bars and a sheet of polycarbonate or something and shed 35-40lb from the car I’d be ecstatic.[/]

I guess you still want the trunk to remain useful somehow.

Quote:
I’m trying to pare the weight to 2400lb or less before potentially adding hybridization or boost.
What about adding both?
Old 10-07-2021, 05:00 AM   #430 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
Quote:

I guess you still want the trunk to remain useful somehow.

What about adding both?
I still want the trunk to be somewhat usable, in case I need to transport something.

A hybrid and forced induction would be a wild solution to a problem I don’t have in such abundance. I don’t have any plans to radically downsize the engine, in fact after the rebuild it should make more than enough power to enthusiastically move the car, in theory. Strapping a turbo onto it would create way more power than really necessary (though it would be fun to try), and even hybridization would have limited benefit outside of low RPM operation, where I predict the engine will end up coming up short. Doing both at once would add a bunch of weight and solve a largely nonexistent problem

Reply  Post New Thread