Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #111 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
When the moulding is removed the clips are typically destroyed and they are pretty expensive.They have seals to prevent leakage but apparently the seals can fail even if the moulding is not removed. The moulding has to be removed to replace the windshield from what I have read.

regards
mech

The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Ecky (10-19-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #112 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
While I was pulling things apart, I decided to splice into a fused always-on +12v connection for the panel that I decided not to use for powering my cabin-fan mod. This may not be the final location of the panel.

I expect I can get at least 8 hours of good sun per day and another 4-6 hours of indirect light if I get a crap parking spot in the sun, so I'm guessing 0.5-1.5Ah per day. We don't drive it much on weekdays. Should be safe, right?

I suspect keeping the +12v topped off may have a noticeable impact on mileage, as even turning up the radio too loud can cause up to 4 bars of constant regen.

Last edited by Ecky; 10-20-2014 at 12:19 AM..
Old 10-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #113 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

One unfortunate part of having a rare car is the price of parts. A rear mount ran me $92, almost four times as much as the same mount in my Del Sol, though it is a genuine Honda part.

I have no idea what happened to the old mount, but it looks as if it was scraped, and possibly heated. When I got the car it was cracked badly but not completely broken, but that was enough to cause starting in first and reverse to have some herky-jerky. With the new mount in place this is very much diminished, though the mount is still very soft and still allows a fair amount of rubber banding when shifting or letting off the throttle. Stuffing a bit of soft foam in the gaps helped, but I might want to fill it with something a bit stiffer.

Removal was a pain in the ass. Though it was not recommended, I ended up unbolting the exhaust and moving it aside in order to get to the central bolt. In more northern states these bolts would almost certainly be rusted beyond removal, requiring the need to unmount the transmission bracket. The bolt going through the middle of the mount felt overtightened, and I wasn't able to get anything larger than a 12" breaker under the car. I ended up bracing myself against the trailing arms and pushing with both feet to get it moving. I couldn't imagine getting it apart without it being bolted to the car, and you need something like a crescent-breaker and a lift to get it off without unbolting the exhaust.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
HyperMileQC (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #114 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Calpod installed. I had the switch in weeks ago, but for some reason it wasn't working. Turns out the wire splices I used didn't actually pierce the insulation.

Switch is 3 position, momentary forward. Forward position shorts the brake switch, causing max regen braking without using the brake pads, and is excellent for rolling down hills. Back position shorts the clutch switch, which has the effect of disabling regen and assist.

I haven't yet found a stalk to put on the end of the switch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Today my wife came home from work, and reported she had averaged 73.5mpg on her commute. Typically she gets 47-55 when she needs to run the A/C, and has never done better than about 62.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #115 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
I think you have to remove the exhaust to get the rear motor mount off, no? I know I had to remove the exhaust to get it off.

Nice calpod switch install! That's a whole lot cleaner then my install, which is honestly horrid. It took my little brother 20 minutes to clean up my hackjob mess and get it nice looking haha (he is an electrician).

Old 10-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #116 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
I think you have to remove the exhaust to get the rear motor mount off, no? I know I had to remove the exhaust to get it off.

Nice calpod switch install! That's a whole lot cleaner then my install, which is honestly horrid. It took my little brother 20 minutes to clean up my hackjob mess and get it nice looking haha (he is an electrician).
I unbolted the pipe from the upper cat and pushed it to the side, gave me enough room to get a socket in and loosen the long bolt that goes through the mount.

Thanks! Any ideas on a stalk to put on it? I've been all over Amazon and ebay, with searches like "plastic stalk with knob", "hollow plastic stalk", "turn signal", "plastic stick", etc. and haven't yet found anything remotely close to what I need.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #117 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Nice job on the switch, Ecky!

I installed my brake regen button today, too! Put mine on the shifter, so far I like it there alot, I charged my IMA battery to full in like ten minutes just playing around today

My son said he has some shrink material I can cover the installation with he's going to give me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2470.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	16203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2469.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	16204  

The Following User Says Thank You to cowmeat For This Useful Post:
Ecky (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #118 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Nice job on the switch, Ecky!

I installed my brake regen button today, too! Put mine on the shifter, so far I like it there alot, I charged my IMA battery to full in like ten minutes just playing around today

My son said he has some shrink material I can cover the installation with he's going to give me

I think I might like the idea of having 2 separate switches.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #119 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I unbolted the pipe from the upper cat and pushed it to the side, gave me enough room to get a socket in and loosen the long bolt that goes through the mount.

Thanks! Any ideas on a stalk to put on it? I've been all over Amazon and ebay, with searches like "plastic stalk with knob", "hollow plastic stalk", "turn signal", "plastic stick", etc. and haven't yet found anything remotely close to what I need.
Stalk? And yea that's exactly what I did with the exhaust.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #120 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Stalk? And yea that's exactly what I did with the exhaust.
I'd like to make it something like the turn signal.

Reply  Post New Thread