Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2016, 12:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Subscribed

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Well, not too much has happened with this car. I've been working here and there on getting the transmission out so I can see if I need to order a clutch along with the slew of other parts I need for it. Alas, I have not been able to remove the transmission with the engine in the car. So, its going to come out! I'm hoping to start working on it again a bit this weekend.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Well, not too much has happened with this car. I've been working here and there on getting the transmission out so I can see if I need to order a clutch along with the slew of other parts I need for it. Alas, I have not been able to remove the transmission with the engine in the car. So, its going to come out! I'm hoping to start working on it again a bit this weekend.
By the time you get it that torn down it's easier to just pull the engine/tranny and work on it outside the car anyways.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post384700

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 04-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

Yep, thats what I'm finding out! Also the timing belt and water pump will be ridiculously easy with the engine out too.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

My daily driver civic's daily oil leak might be getting worse, and the leak is the front main seal, behind the crank pulley... so I have a timing belt removal and possible water pump replacement in my future too.

what are your longterm plans with this car? Why so much interest? You want to become a Civic expert? This isn't a daily driver for you is it? Maybe in the future?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

The main reason I got the Civic was the price. I know I can make decent money on it when I sell it. So the plan is to fix it up and then make it my daily driver for a while. At that point l'll decide weather I want to keep it and sell the Metro, or fix the Metro and sell the Civic. I absolutely love the mileage that the Metro gets, but I'm getting sick of fixing the car all the time, and the list isn't growing shorter... It needs the engine rebuilt (piston rings are shot, 125 psi compression), the trans grinds going into 4th, the front brakes need to be done, and there is still a bunch of rust to be taken care of as well. Its all doable and the parts are very cheap, but the time investment is a lot for me.

Anyway, I nearly got the engine out of the Civic tonight. I still have to pull the wire harness through the firewall. The grommet is quite the sturdy little thing. If anyone has any tips on removing it I'm all ears.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	civicengine.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	19987  
Old 05-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The main reason I got the Civic was the price. I know I can make decent money on it when I sell it. So the plan is to fix it up and then make it my daily driver for a while. At that point l'll decide weather I want to keep it and sell the Metro, or fix the Metro and sell the Civic. I absolutely love the mileage that the Metro gets, but I'm getting sick of fixing the car all the time, and the list isn't growing shorter... It needs the engine rebuilt (piston rings are shot, 125 psi compression), the trans grinds going into 4th, the front brakes need to be done, and there is still a bunch of rust to be taken care of as well. Its all doable and the parts are very cheap, but the time investment is a lot for me.

Anyway, I nearly got the engine out of the Civic tonight. I still have to pull the wire harness through the firewall. The grommet is quite the sturdy little thing. If anyone has any tips on removing it I'm all ears.
Well, if it helps you decide... I plan to get rid of my '01 Civic soon because things keep breaking on it. It hasn't been very reliable for me...

The harness was a pain, just keep working at it. I don't remember the grommet being the hard part, but if it is, prying with a blunt screwdriver can be helpful (a nice new flat screwdriver has sharp edges and will tear right through, so don't be tempted to use one) For me, it was more of getting the connector to fit through the hole. Hopefully you have small slender hands, because my big mitts didn't help any.

Also, it looks like you could find a better spot for your engine hoist chains. Your engine is hanging kinda sideways. I grabbed on the backside of the head on the driver's side:

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-29-2017)
Old 05-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

Yeah, the engine is tilted pretty good. I'm going to need someone to rotate it a bit to get it past the radiator support. It shouldn't be a problem though.

Thankfully, I do have small hands. They come in quite handy while working on these cars haha.

Dang about the reliability! I guess I'll have to keep searching for something.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

The reliability issue is among the reasons I have kept my civic so long (bought it used from the dealer on warranty in June 2001, yes two thousand and one). It has been my daily driver and cross country car ever since. nearly 240,000 on the odo now. I keep it because I know all of its problems. A "new" used car would be a mystery. From where I sit, it looks like this Civic has more repairs needed than your Metro, or at least that it has as many. The Metro's needs are a list you can just rattle off from memory. Seems you'd get to a reliable and fully functioning ride fast with work on the Metro. But you know the two cars better, so...

Old 05-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

I think the build quality on the 6th gen (96-00) Civics were a good deal better than the 7th gens (01-05) from what I've heard and read.

My cousin had a 2000 Civic from new and it lasted him for ages with virtually no maintenance (even when it needed it). Sadly, a ball joint went on it recently (while driving) with 230k miles on it and he sold it off to someone else who fixed it up and kept going.

I agree that its nice to know whats wrong with a car. I'm quite aware of what the Metro needs, and once those things are done it may well last quite some time. Its just getting it to that point that seems to be an issue. I do absolutely love the mileage the car gets, its just silly easy to get too. Especially when I came from driving a 97 Sunfire with a horrid auto trans that I think I only ever got up to 35 mpg in the best summer tank. Then jumping in the Metro which handed me 60 mpg tanks in summer without a ton of hassle. Its tempting to keep it and continue modding it as I know there is more mpgs to be had. But, there are other options out there too, and I'll keep my eyes open I think.