Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspropst View Post
So, different take on this topic:
You have a 2011/2012 Stock Jetta TDI, what would you do without making it look fugly? Like putting pizza pans on the wheels is out of the question

Grille block from the inside.
Pump up the tyres - ask for it to be delivered with Low Rolling Resistance tyres.
Air dam.
Underbelly pan if it doesn't already have one.
Remove all unnecessary weight.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
TDIClub Imported

5. Need a scanguage even though it's got built in instant MPG as well as average/average for trip?
6. I live in Texas. Windows are staying up, I'd like to tell you I'll turn off my A/C, but there are only like 2 months a year I could reasonably do that.
7. Good to know. I was going to get filtermags for the oil, transmission and differential:

FilterMAG: Magnetic Oil Filters finish the Job Your Filter Started.

Check them out, they are supposed to pick up those tiny filings that come off (particularly at the start of the life of your vehicle). Changing more frequently will probably also help.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
If it was me(and it was!!! lol)I,d change the oil. Several military field test on the topic running engines on tests stands for thousand of hours prove this uot. Not use about the testing on the mags.

SORRRY!!! completely missed the texas thing!!!
having been born and raised in Dallas and living in SA for 5 yrs.....I get it!!!! lol
been in sacramento the last 20 and the mindow visors reallyy do work nice. with the right climate!!!!

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 02-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDIClub Imported

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
If it was me(and it was!!! lol)I,d change the oil. Several military field test on the topic running engines on tests stands for thousand of hours prove this uot. Not use about the testing on the mags.

SORRRY!!! completely missed the texas thing!!!
having been born and raised in Dallas and living in SA for 5 yrs.....I get it!!!! lol
been in sacramento the last 20 and the mindow visors reallyy do work nice. with the right climate!!!!
Haha. Yeah I still plan to change the oil frequently for the first 10,000 miles. But the filter magnets are supposed to be pretty amazing since they pick up all the little particles that the filter doesn't. Filter physically stops stuff from moving cycling over and over (particularly big stuff). Magnet picks up those micro-filaments that the filter can't get which is nice. All the reviews, pictures, videos and "tests" people have performed with them are pretty cool. Especially when they tear open their filter, show the stuff clinging to the magnet, or the differences in oil between an oil change interval with/without the magnet.

As for Texas, Dallas is a good 12-14 hour drive North of where I live. I'm way down on the border. We had 15 days over 110 in July 2009, or 2010. Needless to say I guess I'll at least get better fuel efficiency with a warm engine .
Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
TDIClub Imported

@mcrews, just checked out your grill block and belly pan threads.

I'm pretty sure I want to do a Belly Pan like the R8 but I'd ideally like to have it metal and with metal mounts. I'll look and see if I can find something like that already pre-made. If not, a couple people in my family are much better welders/have better access to welders/lifts and they can help me out. Found something I could prebuy, install straight in with some brackets, however the way it covers the bottom of the car doesn't allow all the gaps to be filled in. Jetta is pretty smoothed out in most placed except the front. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299009

As for the grill block, I was debating about blocking out the upper grill, but your stealth concept gave me the idea of potentially blocking out with plexi glass. Don't know if that's possible, but we'll see.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
TDIClub Imported

Better yet, OEM plate:

The Original Equipment belly pans that US spec vehicles received were not exactly what you'd want to use as a skid plate. Made of plastic or lightweight aluminum, it's limited coverage did little for protecting your oil pan and transmission. Now available from ECS is a European Steel Skid Plate kit with all the parts you need to install it. Not only does this kit provide more than twice the coverage of the original unit as well as the protection of steel, but it is also vented to allow for proper cooling of your engine and transmission.

Included in the ECS steel skid plate kit are:

* European steel skid plate
* Steel skid plate brackets
* All mounting hardware
* Detailed instructions

Home Page > Search > ES1892332 > ES#1892332 Genuine VW European Steel Skid Plate - 1K0098001

Edit: other non-OEM plates are slightly less expensive (about 1/3 less the price), but decrease clearance by almost an inch. Which if you plan on lowering like I do, you don't want to loose that clearance.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
TDIClub Imported

Oh, mcrews, this is what it looks like lowered and with a kit:

Reply  Post New Thread