Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
2012 Ford Mustang Kill Switch How to

To complete this thread so others can learn or use in the future, I have inserted the final images, and what I did.

Materials I used:
Box of fuses for the fuse you want to use (1)
PVC Piping to push wire through, and build a stand (2)
Switch for ON/OFF (3)
20' of wire (4)
Fuse Extender (5)
Two Wire to Fuse things (6)

(1) I used a 5 amp ATM, keeping the OEM fuse in the glove box with the extras, in case I need to put it to factory, or need an extra fuse. (2) I measured the feet for how far it would need to travel for me, and added two elbows. (3) Any switch will work, I have wanted to switch to a switch with the safety cap- I have one particular person who always forgets its there and cuts my engine. (4) Wire used was advised by the techs when they knew how much power would be going through. (5) To make it easier to work with, and easier to pull out. I was able to build my entire setup, and just plug it in. (6) To plug the points in.

I used the Fuel Pump fuse, but it was my third (I believe) attempt to find a fuse that worked. To know if it works, either A) attempt to start the car without the fuse in (be ready to turn the car off it won't start, don't let it try to turn over forever) or B), have the car running and pull the fuse. As a novice, by myself, and half the time testing outside of AutoZone, I opted for A.

I suggest measuring twice, and cutting once. Run your PVC, then wire the lines through. With one solid cord, run the electrical from your fuse box through the PVC, make a 6 inch or so loop on the end, then run it back. Make sure there is slack. Now double check, making sure there is only loose/extra wire, and that everything totally opens and closes. Make your cuts, then uninstall. Solder the pieces and parts together, then reinstall. Note, when the switch is soldered into place, that can not pass through the PVC since it is so much larger, and other parts also may not fit, so run your wire first, then cut and assemble.

Results: Over 3 tanks, I noted a 3.9% decrease, then the following 3 tanks a 8.42% increase, although this is when I switched to premium fuel, surely that is not the sole cause for the jump. After that other modifications were added. One issue in calculating actual performance improvement is weather changes, and year over year will be the most effective. Since I live in Ohio, a 90 degree day can easily turn into snow with lightning.

Heres the full setup completed, no in process images:

How it looks closed up

Fuse Panel - Note I used an extra extender thing to give me more space/room to work

From Door Jam to Fuse Box

Door Jam, since firewall opening is on drivers side

What the floor looks like (PVC underneath)

Kill Switch

Original Post Follows:
I absolutely love EOC. But I rarely do it because of having to turn the ignition switch to off or acc, whatever it is that kills the engine. I do bump start, so it isn't like I am wearing it out as much, but I still don't want to do more key turning than I need to. Especially if that moment of off is not counting the brief miles.

Looking at the how tos on here, I haven't seen a clear name for the diagram. I have looked at four or five threads on here, but it still isn't totally clear to me. Also, I haven't been able to find a map of the wiring online at all, by schematic, fuel injector, fi, wiring, electric.

In addition, I have a six year warranty on my car, or 100,000 miles. I will be inspected, and if I do something that could be the cause, my claim may not be approved.
-------
So my situation. Is there anyway one can use a fuse instead of cutting wires? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for what to look up, resources, or any pointers? I hate to make ANOTHER thread on this, and I have done research, but I have found nothing for it. If anyone has any input, please let me know.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.

Last edited by UltArc; 08-10-2013 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Edited to Add Images/Addition of Results
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

clank - '99 jeep tj sport
90 day: 17.32 mpg (US)
since it's a brand new car; the service manual probably won't be online yet.

look around the pdc under the hood and the interior fuse panel. your looking for anything to do with fuel and ignition or the theft deterrent relay. just hope it's not wired like an import(re-read that as 20 things on 1 fuse).
The Following User Says Thank You to baldlobo For This Useful Post:
UltArc (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
How similar is the car to the 2011 and 2010 models? if its just a minor change the wiring is likely to be the same. so look up those years.

many GM cars have a fuse in the box for "ignition" or "injectors". see if you can find that one and then you can add a switch inline to that fuse.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
many GM cars have a fuse in the box for "ignition" or "injectors". see if you can find that one and then you can add a switch inline to that fuse.
That's exactly what I did for my kill switch. I took a spare fuse, carved away excess plastic, cut the fuse wire, soldered leads onto the terminals, and potted the solder connections with Bondo. If I need to remove it, I need only pull the connector, and replace with a stock fuse.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
It's going to set the check engine light. If the engine ever needs work under warranty, the first thing the dealer is going to do is pull the codes. If they notice that it has a lot of codes for fuel injector failure ...
Old 09-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

clank - '99 jeep tj sport
90 day: 17.32 mpg (US)
no, not if you go through the fuses or the anti-theft relay it shouldn't.

btw. if your jeep is anything like mine you have a fuse that cuts both fuel and ign in the pdc under the hood(i haven't gotten any cels)
Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
chysler uses an ASD (automatic shutdown relay) that, under normal conditions allows the engine to run, if it loses the crank sensor (engine won't know when to fire) it kills the injectors and coils. i assume most all cars will have something similar.

also, to maintain your warranty, it may be helpful to buy an extra wiring harness of whatever you might need to cut.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
do not cut any thing, use a fuse jumper/ doubler from an auto parts store ~$5 and then use that to sodder in your relay (take one side of fuse plug and run that to the NC relay (and to the switch), then back from the output side of the NC relay back to the fuse holder (put an inline fuse some place in there). take the other side of the switch to the contacts of the relay. the other side of the relay goes to ground. that what I did for my brothers Kia soul.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...elp-22975.html
Old 09-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldlobo View Post
no, not if you go through the fuses or the anti-theft relay it shouldn't.

btw. if your jeep is anything like mine you have a fuse that cuts both fuel and ign in the pdc under the hood(i haven't gotten any cels)
I don't use it for EoC, but I use it for anti theft.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
You guys are very helpful. Monday and Tuesday are my first days off, that is when I am getting in and getting started.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Reply  Post New Thread