Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #71 (permalink)
Calibration Engineer

Subie - '00 Subaru Impreza STi JDM
90 day: 22.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Also interesting considering the Euro & JDM versions of the car come with engine stop/start. I wonder what temp value those cars monitor to determine whether the feature is active or not.

The Euro cars also came with taller final drive gearing than everyone else gets. But the difference isn't huge. (They also have the option of a 1.0L engine in the car, but that's another story!)
I never tested the 1.0l engine so I don't know the exact specifics of that setup. Most start/stop cars have a lot more insulation on the cat and in fact some of them had to use a more expensive SS core cat that lights off considerably faster.

You can bet that a stationary cat cools much slower than one exposed to 100km/h of airflow under the vehicle. I guess they probably consider that in heavy traffic the engine will cycle off a number of times for short bouts and the cat temps can be maintained, whereas going down the highway you'll be constantly falling out of the minimum temp for operation. I don't specifically work on that part, so I can only make educated guesses.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #72 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
This weekend was pretty productive Mirage wise. I've been working on all of these projects for a while now and haven't really updated my thread here. But, I am now, so big picture dump time!

I ended up finishing up instructions for installing a glove box light kit that I designed. Still gotta write up the DIY, but I got all the pictures for it.

I also finished installing a DIY solution to enable the OEM cruise control. It consists of a switch panel I made up on the 3d printer, some switches and resistors. I also had to install a clutch switch and replace the brake switch with a different one, as well as reprogram the ECU to enable the cruise control system. Sounds complicated, but its not that bad. Here are some pics.

I also got a rear sway bar made up for the car and installed on it. Wow, it makes a huge difference. The car now feels like a normal car vs a 70s Caddy.

Last, but not least. I had my 2nd fill up with a disappointing 38.1 mpg. I blame the cold weather.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:44 PM   #73 (permalink)
Calibration Engineer

Quite a project. I don't think you should need to reflash the ECU for that since the cruise control enable is just stored in the variant coding. Just out of curiosity, what ROM did you flash, and what is the HW revision of your ECU?

Old 01-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #74 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

The setting is in the ETACS (Electronic Time & Alarm Control System) ecu, not the engine ecu.

There is a free program called ETACS decoder that you can use to change settings in the ETACS ecu to enable and disable options. Fog lights for example are another ETACS software setting. Why? I have no idea. I understand why you may want to have computer control over them, but not why you'd want to disable them if they're not even electrically hooked up (aka not there).

I took a bunch of screen shots while messing around in the etacs decoder software. I'll see if I can find some rev data.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 PM   #75 (permalink)
Calibration Engineer

ETACS is just Mitusbishi's fancy name for a BCM, and that is one of the places they store variant coding. It is worthwhile to disable the features that are not installed because it will also disable any checks. For example, some cars with the cruise enabled but not connected will give you codes for the cruise fault.

Other items like fog lights won't run the relay and I suppose in theory consume a tiny bit less power. It is worthwhile to use the CAN network to control these because it simplifies the wiring harness, reduces weight and more importantly, cost. (Copper is expensive).

The Following User Says Thank You to hackish For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OBXT - '08 Subaru Outback
90 day: 26.08 mpg (US)
Impressed with your hacks for the Mirage so far, and will keep checking in to see how it progresses. Mirage is on my short list for a dedicated Eco car, given it's 3 cylinder and 4 doors.

Also impressed that there are ECU mod options Hackish (if i understand correctly). I mess with my 08 Subaru ecu constantly and wasn't sure that there was an option for most other makes/models short of a few performance applications.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flinkly For This Useful Post:
HyperC (07-31-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #77 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
It came with cruise control, but it was not enabled? What kind of numbers do you expect during warmer weather? As much as I like your grill block, would one out of foam board work better?
Old 01-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #78 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackish View Post
I had over a week on the engine dyno with one and the size of the engine is well matched to the optimal BSFC.
What do you do that you were re-tuning the 3A92?

Quote:
If you have the tools to read and write the ECU, then I can give you a calibration for increased fuel economy. I never finished validating it for emissions, but I suspect it will improve efficiency with minimal increases in NOX emissions.
I do not have the tools... yet. I know of one way to do it, but its really round about and manual. Using PCMflash to download the KON file. Then using WinOLS to edit. And, then PCMflash to write the modified file. I'm hoping to work with people/companies to streamline this process. If you know another means, I'm all ears!
Old 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #79 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
It came with cruise control, but it was not enabled? What kind of numbers do you expect during warmer weather? As much as I like your grill block, would one out of foam board work better?
The DE trim does not have cruise available as an option. The ES (higher trim) comes with cruise control standard. However, the ecu has the programming already loaded, you just have to enable it. Add the correct switches, and it will work.

In warmer weather I am anticipating hitting 60 mpg.

I do think a foam block would be slightly better.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #80 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinkly View Post
Impressed with your hacks for the Mirage so far, and will keep checking in to see how it progresses. Mirage is on my short list for a dedicated Eco car, given it's 3 cylinder and 4 doors.

Also impressed that there are ECU mod options Hackish (if i understand correctly). I mess with my 08 Subaru ecu constantly and wasn't sure that there was an option for most other makes/models short of a few performance applications.
Thanks! Its a nice little car as long as you can live with pretty slow acceleration. A few mods here and there really make it a better car though (namely the sway bar thus far).