Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #61 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm curious how the US law is stated. Does it say the vehicle must pass the test, or does it say it must continue to operate within certain defined limits after the test? I mean, breaking the spirit of the law is still breaking the law, but I have to admit my mind is such that I like to explore the flaws in any rule.
For the actual emission testing the manufacturer has to test the car with 4K miles, again at 50K miles and again after 150K miles.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #62 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
But there is no requirement to verify it passed when not being tested. There WAS no requirement to verify the ECU wasn't cheating. Iirc, the college test thought their equipment was faulty.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:35 AM   #63 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
But there is no requirement to verify it passed when not being tested. There WAS no requirement to verify the ECU wasn't cheating. Iirc, the college test thought their equipment was faulty.
Correct. The vehicle is tested in the lab at 3 mileages. There is no testing requirement outside of the lab.

However the manufacturer is required to notify the EPA of any cases that the ECU will allow the vehicle to operate outside of the pollution limits and get their approval for those specific cases.

You are correct that VW was caught by some college students doing a mobile test outside of a lab.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
And I'm the bean counter who says we wont make near as much bank never fixing inexpensive manual transmissions while we make make millions fixing $6000 out of warranty 8 year old 6-10 speed and CVT automatics.
I think you're right. That's what scares me away from automatic transmissions. Plus, you can't bump start with an automatic.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:00 PM   #65 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
can't bump start with an automatic
Reminds me when my father swapped an early Dacia/Renault Logan for a Pontiac Trans Sport with one of my uncles, and it had some electrical failures leading the engine to stall often and the starter sometimes also didn't work. It got me near to the point of pulling its TBI out in order to adapt a carburettor, and I also considered to adapt a recoil-starter similar to what is used in outboard motors.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:06 AM   #66 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
I think you're right. That's what scares me away from automatic transmissions. Plus, you can't bump start with an automatic.
Bump-start an irrelevancy. This isn’t 1963.

As to trans repair, aftermarket filtration & cooler plus fluid changes ahead of schedule. Economy means a budget for anticipated repairs; savings

The idea of “buy cheap & spend nothing” (until failure) needs to be 86’d.

With an automatic, how it’s operated also matters. Get better habits based on longevity; have a plan.

Programming on today’s vehicles overrides stupid drivers. Find the sweet spot. Even if out of synch with traffic.

A rebuild on the automatic I’m driving is north of $25,000. Learn what IT wants. Not what YOU mindlessly input.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:25 AM   #67 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
With an automatic, how it’s operated also matters. Get better habits based on longevity; have a plan.
It's not uncommon for automatic transmissions to outlast a manual in the same application, as long as it's taken good care of. But some people are not so used to specific needs of automatics, such as cooling. The owner of a Chevrolet Cavalier told me he got some trouble after running it with a low engine coolant level, since the transmission cooler is integrated to the radiator.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #68 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Another irony: the number of automatic transmission shifters that incorporate a shift boot to make them look like manual gear selectors.
My auto Hyundai Elantra had no boot. Guess that's why my Elantra was cheaper than other brands.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:36 AM   #69 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

GM got rid of manuals on its full-size range in Mexico, while Ford and Ram still offer it for 2WD single-cab versions of the F-350 and the Ram 4000.

Reply  Post New Thread