Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I wonder if Alex considers four and five-passenger cars a waste of resources,and the materials used to make them,better spread across the fabrication of one-passenger vehicles,which appear to represent the default capacity of the extant vehicle population.That would really allow for significant battery penetration.
I don't think Alex thinks of such things much, just like most people.

The average occupancy is closer to 2 persons than to 1 (1.7 occupants is the US average).

Is it more efficient to purchase both a 1-person vehicle and a 5 passenger vehicle for those times when multiple occupants are present, or simply purchase the 5 passenger? Which strategy would be cheaper considering registration, taxes, insurance...

Most people don't dream of owning things that have less utility.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-01-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
1-person/5-person

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

The average occupancy is closer to 2 persons than to 1 (1.7 occupants is the US average).

Is it more efficient to purchase both a 1-person vehicle and a 5 passenger vehicle for those times when multiple occupants are present, or simply purchase the 5 passenger? Which strategy would be cheaper considering registration, taxes, insurance...

I already know in advance the discomfort you'd likely experience for my honest response to your thoughtful question,so I'll spare you the anguish.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times I've read a comment on this forum that caused me discomfort. I might disagree, but that doesn't cause me discomfort.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-01-2020), roosterk0031 (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
Is it more efficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post

The question is so conditional,contextual,a proper answer would have to address all possible conditions.
*If the average occupancy is 1.7-persons,then the average automobile would offer seating for two.
*If on occasion,seating for five was a requirement,then five seats is the solution.
*If discretionary income is not an issue,then the motorist would own both,achieving 100% utility each time the specific vehicle were operated.At zero economic discomfort.
*If an individual is existing hand to mouth,then there is a far different calculus involved.
*Any society which allows suburban development,without providing for mass transit,forcing residents into personal transportation units,would,on the surface,have failed the very society they're entrusted to serve,tax,fee,lien,seize, or expulse.
*Any government who's pension fund profits from the suffering of its most vulnerable citizens would by any metric be recognized as a pariah.
*If we the people have a say in what taxes, registration,and insurance cost,then whether owning more than one vehicle becomes a liability or not is a reflection upon us and our priorities.
*I don't dream about vehicles.Madison Avenue might be disappointed,I've no control over that.
*I have pondered personal transportation since 1973.The Volkswagen XL1 is the closest I've seen to a 'rational' vehicle,however,somewhere along the way,Volkswagen lost their moral/ethical compass,never having seriously considered producing an 'attainable' vehicle which might cover the needs of most drivers on most days,at a reasonable net profit.
*We might want to resolve the issue of whether driving is an entitlement or a privilege.
*If it's an entitlement,then a national car company,spitting out safe,affordable transportation units,which don't change over time,can be serviced anywhere,with universal parts availability,in all fifty states,within the means of anyone living on minimum wage would be a good move.No dealership.Buy them at the grocery store.
*This topic could easily become a book.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The question is so conditional,contextual,a proper answer would have to address all possible conditions.
*If the average occupancy is 1.7-persons,then the average automobile would offer seating for two.
That depends on the standard deviation.

Quote:
*If discretionary income is not an issue,then the motorist would own both,achieving 100% utility each time the specific vehicle were operated.At zero economic discomfort.
Every expenditure has infinite opportunity cost, regardless of ability to "afford". Utilization of each vehicle goes down when the same number of miles driven are spread across more vehicles, which represents an inefficiency.

Quote:
*Any society which allows suburban development,without providing for mass transit,forcing residents into personal transportation units,would,on the surface,have failed the very society they're entrusted to serve,tax,fee,lien,seize, or expulse.
Public transit takes people from where they don't live, to not quite where they want to go. Most public transit consumes more fuel per passenger mile than personal transportation (most busses and light rail anyhow). People don't have the right to live in a particular place; they have the right to pay to live in a particular place, and that includes figuring out their transportation.

Quote:
*Any government who's pension fund profits from the suffering of its most vulnerable citizens would by any metric be recognized as a pariah.
I'm not following this one. I wouldn't even know how to go about profiting from the suffering of someone else unless the job was specifically torture.

Quote:
*If we the people have a say in what taxes, registration,and insurance cost,then whether owning more than one vehicle becomes a liability or not is a reflection upon us and our priorities.
Of course, we all make that calculus. Some people choose to have a commuter vehicle because it's cheaper than driving their truck to commute in.

Quote:
The Volkswagen XL1 is the closest I've seen to a 'rational' vehicle,however,somewhere along the way,Volkswagen lost their moral/ethical compass,never having seriously considered producing an 'attainable' vehicle which might cover the needs of most drivers on most days,at a reasonable net profit.
Your definition of rational simply doesn't fit with most others. People that want a 2-seater want a sports car, not an economy car.

VW never had a moral/ethical compass because that isn't what drives business. Producing products that provide a return on investment is what drives business. It's up to individuals to exercise morals/ethics, and governments to set parameters that everyone is playing by.

Quote:
*We might want to resolve the issue of whether driving is an entitlement or a privilege.
It's already resolved. People aren't going to vote for restrictions on driving if that means they are subject to them. Just because there's 5 people in the nation that object doesn't mean we haven't resolved the issue.

Quote:
*If it's an entitlement,then a national car company,spitting out safe,affordable transportation units,which don't change over time,can be serviced anywhere,with universal parts availability,in all fifty states,within the means of anyone living on minimum wage would be a good move.No dealership.Buy them at the grocery store.
*This topic could easily become a book.
You've created a false dichotomy (entitlement/privilege). Entitlement means someone is owed something, and nobody is owed a car. A privilege is something only a selected few are allowed, which the DMV suggests is the case since only those who pass tests and pay a fee are granted the privilege of driving.

I'd like to see dealerships go away too, and I don't see how that model is even legal (requiring a manufacturer of a good to use a dealership model).

Economists agree, minimum wage should be eliminated. The government has no business saying what the least amount I can agree to work for should be. It's corruption of the highest order and very harmful to all.

Last edited by redpoint5; 09-05-2020 at 12:36 PM..
Old 09-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
If the government made one car equal for all it wouldn't be anything as good as a Rav4 prime. It would be a Yugo. It may be a 2020 Yugo but basically it would be the worst possible car you could pick on sale today in 2020. Then it would probably cost twice the cheapest new car you could buy. The overall fleet average economy would be lower. Why do people never seem to remember these ideas have all been tried before somewhere in the world?
Old 09-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

As an update to this thread, the base MSRP is $38,000 with the higher trim starting at $41,000. Toyota will only make 5,000 units available this year, so we already know how many will be sold. This constraint will prop up the prices since supply is limited. Who knows how many will be made next year. Hopefully enough to push the price down a bit.

Reply  Post New Thread