Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2020, 04:36 AM   #201 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GreenTDI - '11 Skoda Fabia Estate R3 1.2 CRTDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 65.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgis View Post
Yesterday I was happy realizing that my car reached 81 mpg since last fill.
Nothing does better than a small diesel! It has great potential in terms of consumption.

Concerning the clutch: I'm a little afraid to use those advanced hypermiling techniques because they are often very stressful for certain parts. If you could manage 70 MPG with 'normal' driving or 80+ MPG with all the hypermiling actions and more wear to the car, I would prefer a lower MPG.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2020, 04:41 AM   #202 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Alright! A diesel joins the club!
I would put it differently: Diesels should be on such a list.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenTDI For This Useful Post:
Jurgis (05-11-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #203 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
I would put it differently: Diesels should be on such a list.
Right?! Almost dominate. If there are not a bunch of Euro-spec diesels on this list soon, it would be surprising.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #204 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
This is sad that my poor winter performance at 44.4 mpg is in the top 10. There was a time when 55 would barely make the list. Especially in this strange season, there's not much interest in what we do here.

I've only driven the Fit 18 miles since the start of April. Maybe twice that in other cars but not much overall.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-08-2020), Gasoline Fumes (05-07-2020), Xist (05-16-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 03:16 AM   #205 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ecoDrudge - '07 Ford Fusion EU 1.6 TDCi
Team Ford
Diesel
90 day: 67.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Then you are officially the first inductee of 2020 and here is your hat picture! I will add you to the original post's list of 70 MPG tank average achievers.
Thank you very much.
I hope to improve this goal in the future as on Saturday when I was on my way to work I reached 105 mpg. I used the country roads only, a few villages and a few other cars on my way. The destination was located 30 miles from home and 75 yards below home. It took 70 minutes.
On my way back home I was in a hurry and used the motorway w. 60mph for 10 miles. So I destroyed my average with 65 mpg but was 15 minutes faster. Anyhow I hope to reach 80 mpg for this fill again.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:32 AM   #206 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ecoDrudge - '07 Ford Fusion EU 1.6 TDCi
Team Ford
Diesel
90 day: 67.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Concerning the clutch: I'm a little afraid to use those advanced hypermiling techniques because they are often very stressful for certain parts. If you could manage 70 MPG with 'normal' driving or 80+ MPG with all the hypermiling actions and more wear to the car, I would prefer a lower MPG.
I'm using Pulse & Glide with Engine-off-Coasting.
This is my way I do it for more than 3 years now and it is done totaly automaticaly without thinking, like burned in my brain.
You know that things you do very often you don't remember later if you have done or if you have forgotten like locking the door by key, switch off TV when leaving home ... So do I. When I realize that the battery is nearly empty I want to drive some miles without hypermiling. Minutes later I realized that the motor was off again.

How I do it (f.ex. long country road)
My car has manual gear (5 gears).
1) I'm accelerating up to 42 mph using the 4th gear
2) I kick the clutch and switch off the maching by key
3) I put the key in pos. III (electric is working)
4) my car is rolling w/o running engine for approx. 800 yards until the speed is at 35 mph
5) now I release the clutch for a second to start the motor
6) when the machine is running (even one or two seconds later) I release the clutch again and let it synchronize with the gear and at least with the wheels
7) ... and push the gas pedal at the same time to accelerate again for approx. 200 yards. Now point 1) again

w/o point 5) I need to use the key and the starter. As my car has no start-stop technique the starter wouldn't survive for a long time.
Point 6) is the worst for the clutch. Even without switching off the machine it must be done for pulse and glide and I suppose that this killed my clutch.

I already use energy saving wheels with a highter pressure, don't drive fast and avoid using the breakes.
Modding the car is nealy impossible in Europe. Most changes outside the car reducing the wind resistance are forbidden or must be certified (cetificates are expensive). Technical changes (other parts) must be certified by the producer of the car or I have to do it (same expensive too).
Mostly I will not get any certificate because I can't attest that it has no negative influence of the behavior for enviroment protection and security and maybe for other reasons too.
Every two years the car needs to get a "good vehicle test certificate". Then they check the technical condition and changes too. Without it is forbidden to move the car furhter on. At any police control the officers have a look at the car and the existence of this certificate. If any "untypical" changes are visable they check by heart if this is allowed. If you car has visable changes they stop you as soon as they see it esp. if they need some success that day.

One forbidden thing is that I mounted a LED fog light (still allowed) but I'm using it instead of conventional light in the night and that is forbidden. So I reduce the consumptiion of electrical power. This saves disel to charge the battery again and by using engine off coasting these 200 yeard with running engine is not enaugh. So I would kill the battery even faster.
Next point is that using engine off coasting is a problem with point 2) because at that moment turning the key the light goes off while driving. To my mind it is a little bit dangerous driving up to two seconds w/o light. That irritates other drivers too. And if the Police sees that they will stop me immediately.
So I avoind driving by night and if urgend I try to use pulse and glide only and not switch off the machine while gliding. I try to ... but as it is burned in my head it often happens that I switch off automatically.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #207 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
It is really interesting how far you can go to improve MPG. Driving behavior accounts for most of the profit, that's for sure.
About modding in Europe: you live in Germany, it's not very different from Belgium neighbour! Major adjustments must indeed be inspected and are usually rejected. So I'm keeping it simple so it can be easily adjusted before inspection.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #208 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
And as for the challenge: did a 71.3 MPG trip!
View the attachment …

more information: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post623686

For the concerned among you: don't mind the 'check engine' light, ignition was just switched on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0250.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	28114  

Last edited by GreenTDI; 05-10-2020 at 09:57 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenTDI For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 09:03 PM   #209 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
And as for the challenge: did a 71.3 MPG trip!
View the attachment …

more information: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post623686

For the concerned among you: don't mind the 'check engine' light, ignition was just switched on
Fabulous! Congrats on joining the rarefied, elite, 70 MPG SINGLE RUN AVERAGE CLUB!

And BTW, you and Jurgis will both find your cars listed in the original post for this thread.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
GreenTDI (05-11-2020), Jurgis (05-11-2020), Xist (05-16-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #210 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgis View Post
Next point is that using engine off coasting is a problem with point 2) because at that moment turning the key the light goes off while driving. To my mind it is a little bit dangerous driving up to two seconds w/o light. That irritates other drivers too. And if the Police sees that they will stop me immediately.
So I avoind driving by night and if urgend I try to use pulse and glide only and not switch off the machine while gliding. I try to ... but as it is burned in my head it often happens that I switch off automatically.
There is likely a way to kill the engine without using a key, which would not fail your car for inspection.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Jurgis (05-11-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread