Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #61 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Gaud29 You need to test the gadgets like you are trying to disprove them , not prove them.
I like that phrasing, FWIW. It's true too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I had a feeling this was going to happen. :/
Hahahaa!
A disturbance in the force...

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #62 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
A disturbance in the force...
...akin to ripples in the commode?
Old 07-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #63 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaud29 View Post
Well, of course have your vehicle "free" of problems, no engine check lights, turned up, aligned, etc. and then get yourself a "Platinum Gas Saver", hook it up, and let it do it's thing... then, purchase a "Fuel Atomizer", or maybe now they're called "Fuel Vaporizer", and hook it up,,,, and drive, and get it "dialed in",,,,, and there you go........!!!!!!!!!! You might want to also buy and put in a "K & N air filter", also some "Pulstar" spark plugs,,,,,,either way you're off to an AWSOME Start!!!!
A Awesome start Into the Unicorn Coral - full steam ahead (bring your money)

Have you ever noticed when someone advertising something as Awesome its ALWAYS a POS

Old 07-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
I wasn't originally going to comment on the motorcycle part, but years ago, I bought a Honda Nighthawk 450 (2 cylinder). My express purpose in buying it was for high mpg transportation. Friends and aquaintences told me I could probably get 60 on the highway. I was extremely pleased to soon learn I was getting 70 on the highway.

Then I did add one "gadget" - a "Plexifairing III", because I couldn't stand the cold from the constant wind (the very definition of "wind chill"). I thought my mpg would plummet, but imagine my surprise when my mpg went UP to 75!!! My first real-world expreience with the concept of a "grille block/air dam", I suppose.

This was back in the 55 mph speed limit days. The fairing actually REDUCED my top speed in top gear (from about 80 to about 70), and later, after they raised the speed limit on the interstate to 65, I found I was getting only 50 mpg or worse trying to maintain that speed - which was hard to do because of a slight headwind.

So I guess that proved that for the bike too, slower speed = better mpg. In fact, I think to took a trip once & tried to maintain 50, resulting in my best mpg ever - 76.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
A Awesome start Into the Unicorn Coral - full steam ahead (bring your money)

Have you ever noticed when someone advertising something as Awesome its ALWAYS a POS
I know!!! Be sure to buy platinum plugs and a K&N air filter - two proven mpg enhancers, right? - - - NOT!!! I wonder if he uses "premium big-name fuel" and then puts "additive" in it, too?

Old 07-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
>>> Evaporative emissions control systems can be destroyed by overfilling and you are not allowing for any expansion of the fuel in hot ambient temperatures<<<<<.

regards
Mech
Say, Mech, I fill mine until the gas can be seen standing in the fill neck, too. I know they don't recommend that here, and now that I see this statement of yours, I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake? Could you elaborate on HOW it can damage the evap system, and anything the expansion might hurt? I usually drive a bit after I get gas, making some room in the system, I'm thinking, but maybe not enough room. ???

When I fill, it will take a certain amount at a fairly fast rate, but then get to a point where I can only put in about 0.02 gallons at a time, waiting about 3 or 4 seconds between each 0.02. I can usually get almost another 2 gallons in by doing this, (taking about 20 minutes!!) but now I'm wondering even more than before, what exactly am I doing?

My thought was this was the best way to make sure I'm filling it the same each time (to where it literally won't hold any more). But if I'm screwing up, maybe I need to stop. ??? This car runs really good, and I'd REALLY hate to damage it by being a bonehead!!!

Old 07-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Say, Mech, I fill mine until the gas can be seen standing in the fill neck, too. I know they don't recommend that here, and now that I see this statement of yours, I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake? Could you elaborate on HOW it can damage the evap system, and anything the expansion might hurt? I usually drive a bit after I get gas, making some room in the system, I'm thinking, but maybe not enough room. ???

When I fill, it will take a certain amount at a fairly fast rate, but then get to a point where I can only put in about 0.02 gallons at a time, waiting about 3 or 4 seconds between each 0.02. I can usually get almost another 2 gallons in by doing this, (taking about 20 minutes!!) but now I'm wondering even more than before, what exactly am I doing?

My thought was this was the best way to make sure I'm filling it the same each time (to where it literally won't hold any more). But if I'm screwing up, maybe I need to stop. ??? This car runs really good, and I'd REALLY hate to damage it by being a bonehead!!!
The tube for the evaporative emissions system is just below the filler cap receptacle. If you fill too high then you can get liquid fuel into the charcoal cannister which dissolves the charcoal. The cannisters can set you back hundreds of dollars new and are considered owner neglect for warranty purposes. Most owners manuals warn against filling too high.

I just put the pump on the first (of two here) detents and let it fill the tank.

If you have the issue where you can't get the last couple of gallons in the tank which I have experienced in several of our cars where the filler neck is behind the wheel with the tank under the rear seat, I cut a piece of 2X4 and when I pulled up to the pump, I dropped the wood block in front of the rear wheel and drove up on it to give that end of the car a little extra elevation.

In those vehicles that were hard to completely fill the wood block trick worked great for me.

Typically if the nozzle of the gas pump is in the neck as far as it will go the auto shutoff will not let you overfill.

You can also listen to the fuel going in the tank and hear when it is getting close to the top.

regards
Mech
Old 07-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
Hey man don't knock the k&n air filters. I know a guy who knows a guy who has a friend whose cousin put in a k&n filter on a stock car and doubled his horsepower AND torque AND got 50 extra MPG!!!!!!!!! you won't believe what happened after he put the k&n sticker on either!!!!!!

And if you believe that I've got a bridge to sell you. It's a great deal, in fact I'll give it to you for 1/2 off and throw in a few super secret mpg boosters as well absolutely FREE!

The Following User Says Thank You to backpacker3 For This Useful Post:
wmjinman (07-06-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The clown who stuck one in my Insight (before I bought it) put too much oil in it and wiped out the 02 sensor at 35k miles. The sticker did not help a bit.

regards
Mech
Old 07-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
Yeah I know they don't really do anything I just get a kick out of the people that believe in the almighty power of the cold air intake.

Reply  Post New Thread