Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Little Car - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 91.08 mpg (US)

The Big Car - '94 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon
90 day: 44.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
What about modifying the TPS and/or MAP signals to hide the true load from the ECU?
Interesting idea! I'm pretty sure that on the Metro the closed/open loop threshold, once operating conditions for closed loop are met, is based 100% on TPS position vs. RPM (as it is on the Caprice and other ECUs that I'm familiar with). So, it's very likely that the only signal that would need modification is the TPS signal.

The question is: how would so doing affect the engine's operation in other ways?

Ultimately, it would be more about convenience than necessity. It is possible to keep it in closed loop at high load--you just have to be very careful about throttling.

-Funkhoss

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

mind blowing mileage!
I see you run non-ethanol gas also. That pushed my car over the hump for gas mileage. My ecu has no aftermarket support so software hacks are out. I want to explore some sensor mods but don't want to push advance to the point of cracking the head or burning the valves.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkhoss View Post
Interesting idea! I'm pretty sure that on the Metro the closed/open loop threshold, once operating conditions for closed loop are met, is based 100% on TPS position vs. RPM (as it is on the Caprice and other ECUs that I'm familiar with). So, it's very likely that the only signal that would need modification is the TPS signal.

The question is: how would so doing affect the engine's operation in other ways?

Ultimately, it would be more about convenience than necessity. It is possible to keep it in closed loop at high load--you just have to be very careful about throttling.

-Funkhoss
Some engines run without any enrichment, for example the Toyota Prius, or an old Mercedes M119/120 - engine from a certain year on. Issues? Obviously none. I think, this enrichment occurs often too early or too strong. A few years ago, I saw a german examination about exhaust pollutant of modern cars. It shows, that cheaper cars tends to enrich the fuel / air mixture way earlier than expensive cars. I guess, itīs just cheaper, to just enrich it, unstead to estimate, on which rpm or load this enrichment is really necessary.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
I've attached a pic of the car that I took this morning.

-Llumar Air 80 "clear" window tint (for interior heat reduction)

-Funkhoss
Funk,

Can you buy this tint for self install? I have 3m Crystalline but its a racket. They will only sell to dealers who want an arm and a leg to install it and they are few and far between.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Little Car - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 91.08 mpg (US)

The Big Car - '94 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon
90 day: 44.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Funk,

Can you buy this tint for self install? I have 3m Crystalline but its a racket. They will only sell to dealers who want an arm and a leg to install it and they are few and far between.
That I do not know, unfortunately. I had someone local to me, whose labor charges were quite reasonable, install it on both of our cars.

I can say that it does seem to work, though!

-Funkhoss

Old 11-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
That I do not know, unfortunately. I had someone local to me, whose labor charges were quite reasonable, install it on both of our cars.

I can say that it does seem to work, though!

-Funkhoss
I'm a huge fan of that style of tint as well. It makes a crazy difference.