Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #601 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECONORAM View Post
@serialk11r, take a look at the wheel wells of a RAM pickup. The entire wheel well is radiused. But it could probably use a little refinement wrt to the ecomodder realm...
Had to look kind of hard to find. An 07 like yours: http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...pic-11265.jpeg

But the new ones don't, they have the goofy bulged lip fenders like my MR2.

Makes me wonder, maybe there's an easy, discrete way to extend the fender into the wheel well to get the radius effect. A bodykit can easily be modified to have radiused edges but I don't like bodykits.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #602 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
.....2) Your comment about keeping rpm close to 3000 rpm is interesting, but seems counterintuitive due to more stress on the engine, a longer time going up the hill and seems it would put more stress on the cooling. Would going a lower gear at higher rpm actually help the cooling?....
Ah,

Talking about counter-intuitive!!

Kinetic Energy = WV^2/2g

This is one form on an equation for moving a mass up a hill. Work out some numbers and one quickly sees that going up a hill faster simply takes more energy.

Since we are trying to save fuel, it makes sense that going up the hill slower takes less energy (think force times distance divided by time or F * D / T). However, taken to an extreme, going up a hill in first gear may use more fuel than going up in third for example.

I always watch the FCD in the Insight when going up hills to get a feel for what works best.

In the case of the hills by LaCross, going up in third was way better than a higher gear, and keeping the speed to around 30 mph.

Regarding engine cooling.... About 1/3 of the HP generated by an engine goes into the radiator as heat. If we go up the hill slower, use less energy, then it goes that there should be less heat as well, and less cooling requirements from the radiator. However, again taken to an extreme, going to slow lowers the air velocity through the radiator, and thus at some point would heat it up higher because of the slow speed.

In my case, the lower engine temperatures I saw told me that the speed, engine rpm, and gear worked, because engine temperature was lower than going up in forth, with more engine load.

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 06-10-2014 at 02:06 PM..
Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #603 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
hills/mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
Ah,

Talking about counter-intuitive!!

Kinetic Energy = WV^2/2g

This is one form on an equation for moving a mass up a hill. Work out some numbers and one quickly sees that going up a hill faster simply takes more energy.

Since we are trying to save fuel, it makes sense that going up the hill slower takes less energy (think force times distance divided by time or F * D / T). However, taken to an extreme, going up a hill in first gear may use more fuel than going up in third for example.

I always watch the FCD in the Insight when going up hills to get a feel for what works best.

In the case of the hills by LaCross, going up in third was way better than a higher gear, and keeping the speed to around 30 mph.

Regarding engine cooling.... About 1/3 of the HP generated by an engine goes into the radiator as heat. If we go up the hill slower, use less energy, then it goes that there should be less heat as well, and less cooling requirements from the radiator. However, again taken to an extreme, going to slow lowers the air velocity through the radiator, and thus at some point would heat it up higher because of the slow speed.

In my case, the lower engine temperatures I saw told me that the speed, engine rpm, and gear worked, because engine temperature was lower than going up in forth, with more engine load.

Jim.
In an article about the old Mobil Economy Run,some Chrysler guys said that they pre-tested their car for every road grade that would be encountered on the run.
An optimum velocity was recorded for each grade,and a ball bearing inside a constant-radius ashtray bottom served as an 'inclinometer' for the team.Some other competitors used a stopwatch hanging from the rear-view mirror to gauge the road grades.
If you construct a graph of the speed/grade/velocity you find a relationship to a constant 'climb rate' of vertical feet per unit of time across the carpet graph that they want to maintain to keep the engine in a BSFC 'sweet-spot.'
Old 06-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #604 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
rpm vs cooling

Quote:

I always watch the FCD

If we go up the hill slower, use less energy, then it goes that there should be less heat as well, and less cooling requirements from the radiator.
What is FCD?

The contradictory thing is that instant mpg is lower going up in 5th than in 4th, unless the speed is significantly less, giving the appearance of less energy used (less fuel) and less heat generated in 5th gear. On the other hand, I could always spin up a hill faster in a moderately low gear on a bicycle than a higher one, the sweet spot being 96 to 102 rpm. However I didn't equate that to energy use, figuring I was using more energy but the leverage was more optimal. Also, using a too high of gear on a bicycle changes the dynamic to strength. Maybe there's not a relationship to a car, except to see that higher rpms up to a certain point can be good, but maybe it's the same in a car, as the higher rpms provide better leverage, and thereby, (assumption) less heat.

I do think the higher rpms would reduce mpg, though that's a secondary consideration to keeping cooling in range.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #605 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
....If you construct a graph of the speed/grade/velocity you find a relationship to a constant 'climb rate' of vertical feet per unit of time across the carpet graph that they want to maintain to keep the engine in a BSFC 'sweet-spot.'
Hi Phil,

I have been noticing that same effect this year when going up hills. My fuel consumption this year is higher than last year when driving over the same hills to/from work.

I started paying more attention to speed, gearing, rpm's, engine load, and so on over these hills. This is the biggest bang-for-the-buck. See link below for details.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...omy-29047.html

The Insight has lean burn, and keeping the car in this run mode over hills can sometimes be quite challenging.

Like you mentioned above about BSFC, I have been tackling hills, sometimes in a lower gear/more rpm, and the results seem to favor this over lugging the engine in a higher gear.

There does seem to be an "art" to driving efficiently. I've had the car now some five years, and still learning a bunch.

Jim.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #606 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
What is FCD?
Fuel Consumption Display. The Honda Insight has an instant MPG display that really helps while driving. It's a bar graph that runs across the bottom (left-right) of the dash display.

Quote:
I do think the higher rpms would reduce mpg, though that's a secondary consideration to keeping cooling in range.
Agreed. Phil touched on BSFC in his comments above.

I am finding that I can get better MPG even on a 1 degree grade hill, by running in forth at a slightly slower speed, than fifth at a slightly higher speed. Sometimes I'll try each just to see for sure.

Jim.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #607 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

gear vs rpms vs mph vs mpg

Quote:
I can get better MPG even on a 1 degree grade hill, by running in forth at a slightly slower speed, than fifth at a slightly higher speed.
If I understand correctly, this means going up the high at a much lower speed in 4th gear, but the rpms can be higher than they were in 5th. For example if I'm going up at 45 mph in 5th, then I'd need to go up at an equivalent instant mpg, thus 36 or so mph, for the overall mileage to not decrease. As the rpms can be higher in 4th, then perhaps the speed would be higher than 36 mph.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #608 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
lean burn

Quote:
Hi Phil,

I have been noticing that same effect this year when going up hills. My fuel consumption this year is higher than last year when driving over the same hills to/from work.

I started paying more attention to speed, gearing, rpm's, engine load, and so on over these hills. This is the biggest bang-for-the-buck. See link below for details.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...omy-29047.html

The Insight has lean burn, and keeping the car in this run mode over hills can sometimes be quite challenging.

Like you mentioned above about BSFC, I have been tackling hills, sometimes in a lower gear/more rpm, and the results seem to favor this over lugging the engine in a higher gear.

There does seem to be an "art" to driving efficiently. I've had the car now some five years, and still learning a bunch.

Jim.
The beauty of your on-board electronics is that you could take a day and just drive around with different scenarios,documenting as you go,then at your leisure,sit down and 'take it all in',constructing a map for different driving conditions.So sweet!
With my tank-mileage limitations it's hard to infer what the ramifications of a certain leg of a trip might have been.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #609 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

wraparound wheel skirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aerocivic-how-drop-your-cd-0-31-0-a-290-3.html#post6607
That's an amazing bumper plus wrap around skirts. Can Diesel_John or someone else provide some details of this car, and results of the mods? Specifically, do the advantages of the aero wheel skirts outweigh the disadvantage of higher drag.

The Following User Says Thank You to j12piprius For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #610 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Yes, and why did they park like that?

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
hotshoetom (05-06-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread