Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 01:39 AM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floordford View Post
See, it doesn't feel good when someone points the jokes at you does it. Im just keeping you in check. You keep tearing into people for no reason. Thats what the wrong side of the bed poster was for. Good grief, the guy just posted a "my first thought was.." and you got snappy with him. Notice how Im taking the high road and just saying to back it down a notch instead of taking your road and lashing out.

Well, gee, let's see........you post has abosolutely no value to the discussion..... your point, again is what????

And weather you like my comment or not, it is extrmely relavent to the idea that, gee, maybe those high price engineers know what they are doing??

Where as your comment is intended to be personal. period.

And back to the point.
THe 'air curtain' stays as the curtain mainly BRCAUSE it is coming thru the 10 inch slot on the edge of the body work. Not because it flows around the body.

Also, the fact that you miss when discussing nacar.....they don't want ANY air going under or thru the body. you cant issolate one point and say "gee that's what we'll do". a street car has to allow for air under and thru the body. Given that, how can THAT air flow be used effectively.

(And frankly, 'feeling good' or 'feeling bad' isn't how I measure the process.)

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #72 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
I think your Fabia had a front mount intercooler, right? PD 130?

Right and left can be somewhat confusing when working around cars due to the fact that when looking backward right is left, just like Mrs. A.
Nope, it was in the front, right wheelarch - the Fabia is more Polo than Golf sized. I think the SEAT version had the front intercooler but they also went up to the PD160 engine from the factory.

EDIT - I always assume right and left from the seats, facing the front. Mrs A gets confused especially when overseas due to the swapping from driving positions so she can be pointing over to the right and be saying "we need to go left here"

But even left and right in the UK are tricky for her.

Last edited by Arragonis; 09-21-2011 at 04:50 AM..
Old 09-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #73 (permalink)
Muscle Car Modder

QuikSilver - '00 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 24.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
yeah, I figured those charts on exhaust od size on the honda vx shut you up. Now mr 'bolt on" is an expert in air flow.

The trick here on THIS forum(as opposed to the 'boy racer bolt-on forums') is to contribute factually to the discussion.

snarky comments only reflect on the poster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
Well, gee, let's see........you post has abosolutely no value to the discussion..... your point, again is what????

And weather you like my comment or not, it is extrmely relavent to the idea that, gee, maybe those high price engineers know what they are doing??

Where as your comment is intended to be personal. period.
How did that first comment add value? To me you just come of as a frustrated bully with a keyboard. I posted up to defend a member with a thought he posted. Now you are jumping on my case for posting.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sigh.. It's really sad, no make that pathetic, to watch a good thread disintegrate. Speaking only for myself, I think it would be good for all of us, whether we are capable of knowing the difference between stongly held views (which is to be encouraged) and abuse, (which is not) to lay off and show the rest of us some class.
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to autogyro For This Useful Post:
WesternStarSCR (10-06-2012)
Old 09-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by autogyro View Post
Sigh.. It's really sad, no make that pathetic, to watch a good thread disintegrate. Speaking only for myself, I think it would be good for all of us, whether we are capable of knowing the difference between stongly held views (which is to be encouraged) and abuse, (which is not) to lay off and show the rest of us some class.
Thanks

Agreed, in full.

Back to air curtains: How about a combination chin splitter+air dam+air curtain?

Elliptical air dam extends down vertically from bumper and laterally to fair front wheels, chin splitter/undertray comes forward horizontally from engine bay to intersect air dam, and stagnation point intake in air dam feeds some cooling air to radiator, but also feeds lateral channels between air dam and car body to feed exit slots of air curtain by leading edges of tires.

Wish I could draw and post this idea, as my description above surely is lacking in clarity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 04:37 AM   #76 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Agreed, in full.

Back to air curtains: How about a combination chin splitter+air dam+air curtain?
Like this one in an earlier post ?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Sort of, but on a smaller scale.
That one is for downforce, something you don't want too much of on a fuel-sipping street car.
Gravity provides enough downforce already

Old 09-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2005 Dakota - '05 Dodge Dakota SLT
90 day: 15.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Sort of, but on a smaller scale.
That one is for downforce, something you don't want too much of on a fuel-sipping street car.
Gravity provides enough downforce already
True, but it does bring to the front the concept of pure airflow control. I wonder if we made a theoretical "box" around our cars how much the airflow would change. The air would only have to be controlled inside the box, thus, the sides of the box are your furthest limits.... sorry, brainstorming in the morning again!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Super Duty - '12 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Long Bed Super-Cab
90 day: 15.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu3Z3rg View Post
True, but it does bring to the front the concept of pure airflow control. I wonder if we made a theoretical "box" around our cars how much the airflow would change. The air would only have to be controlled inside the box, thus, the sides of the box are your furthest limits.... sorry, brainstorming in the morning again!
I am picturing this right now.
a Box Tunnel around the whole car,
wonder how it would work.

Good Bye Insight Hello 6.7 Diesel Truck!
**My First Hybrid Insight**
Old 09-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post

Not exactly.

My idea is for channels behind the stock curved front face of the car to carry ram air to the slot ducts in front of the wheels, but also to have an undertray that extends several inches forward of the curved chin to serve as a splitter, much like the splitter in the picture.

Air fed to the air curtain exit slots is from the stagnation point (about where it says YOKOHAMA) inlet at the nose, which stagnation point inlet also feeds the radiator. No wings like in the picture, which may provide good down force, but which would be draggy.

Last edited by Otto; 09-23-2011 at 11:53 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Reply  Post New Thread